Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in about 2 weeks or so Im going to be getting a 9mm pistol for USPSA style matches at a local range (just for fun, not serious competition) and also for home defense. Im torn between either a Glock 17 or 19 and a Springfield Armory XD. I can get the glock for $425 new before tax because I know the owner of a gun shop very well :mrgreen: , or I can probably get the XD for about the same price. So Im wondering if I should jump on the Glock because well its a Glock and its basically what the Xd is trying to copy, or get the XD? Which is better as far as trying to find accessories like holsters, extra mags and so on? Also I know a K-9 police officer who shoots a glock 9mm, not sure if its a 17 or 19 but he said he has 500 rounds of 9mm round nose FMJ hes willing to give me at no charge 8) , so ammo is no problem for awhile. What do you suggest I get? And if you say Glock should I get the full size 17 or lose 2 rounds for the more compact 19? Explain your reasoning and post pics of your guns if you'd like. -Thanks for all the help- Also suggestions on inexpensive tac lights is welcome.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Having owned 4 Glocks of varying models and 6 Springfield XDs (if one counts its predecessor, the HS-2000) I will not own another Glock if I have anything to say about it. In fact, I told myboss that I will quit if I am ever required carry another Glock. The Glock is a fine gun but its shape just does not fit my hand in any way, shape, form, or manner causing my scores to be a good 10-15 points lower than with the XD. This is actually not a condemnation of Glock as it also occurs to me when using any other handgun with a similar shape whether it be a Colt Woodsman, Luger P08, etc. The XD (and others with a similar grip angle) is a much better fit for the bone and muscle structure of my hand and is what I prefer to shoot overwhelmingly.
The XD is also not trying to copy the Glock any more than Chevy is trying to copy Ford in automobiles. They do share having a polymer frame, they fire smokeless ammunition, and are capable of being fired one handed but they are different designs. The Glock has more option available for it off the shelf but the XD is not all that far behind these days. Though the various products are not as widely distrubted, they can be found online with a little bit of searching.
I prefer the full sized pistols as they have a long enough grip to fit my whole hand comfortably. Compact pistols sometimes do not have a long enough grip for me to fit all my fingers on to the fullest which can then affect my shooting. One can add a magazine extension but then you are in the same grip size range as a full sized pistol at what is usually an extra cost for the pistol and again for the extension. One also gets a little shorter barrel with the compact models which requires a more correct technique to shoot to the gun's full potential. I don't think the magazine capacity matters all that much and I have used eerything from an 8 shot SIG 220 to a 19 round Glock without really noticing much of a difference. For the above reasons as well as not seeing any greater difficulty concealing a full sized XD (or Glock for that matter) than a compact, I have sold all my compact handgun models and now carry a standard Service XD for both work and off duty use. I do compete with my guns on a more or les informal basis, they are as Springfield shipped them except for adjustable rear sights on my XD-40 and tritium dots front and rear on that gun and the XD-45. I compete using either my duty rig or my concealment holster with my shirt tucked in. I am not in it for any prizes though I have won one or two, but to be even more familiar with my duty equipment in high pressure situations.
As for good, inexpensive lights, that is a tall order but I have found that the two Streamlights I have, one TR-1 and another model who's designation I don't recall offhand, have served me well. the TR-1 sits on my duty gun when at home as the light attaches with a screw mechanism which is not conducive to quick attachment and removal. The other Streamlight clips on and off which is much more convenient to use and is what I carry with me at work, inthe car, or any other time I might want a flashlight to attach to my gun. Both of these can be found for under $120 at various police supply houses as well as at many sporting goods stores such as Cabela's. The only other inexpensive rail light I have had any positive experience with has been the one put out by Glock. For a while it was about the only one one could find for the Glock style of rails and I could not fault it. I think these are still under $100.
My best suggestion would be to go to a range that rents these two models,or failing that, borrow them from someone and go shoot them. One will probably feel more pleasing to you and that is the one you should go with. Both models are quality pices of equipment and there is not a whit's worth of difference between the two as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow thanks alot for the response, that was a very informative post. I found this while searching around on google http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdo ... tory11.php and after reading this and your post I am really really leaning towards the XD, as long as I can get a good price on it and it fits my hand well. I held the XD and a Glock 17 a few days ago at the gun shop and the Glock seemed like the grip was too wide for my hand but I loved the sights, then I held the XD and it felt really good in my hand but the mag release was very very stiff and hard to press and release the magizine, im not sure if they are all like that or just this one? But I will go back and handle them all again and I think the owner might let me take a few out and shoot them so I can really get a good feel for them. Which ever 9mm I choose I will be sure to post some pictures and get a range report after my first outing with the gun. Thanks again.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The XD is a better pistol over the Glock IMHO and by the detailed expression UD provided. Other pistols to look at in the same stream would be the S&W M&P and the Sig.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to purchase

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glock 19. You can talk to people that own many diff guns. If they say they would get a different brand. Its not just Glock but most would say Glock19. How every if your wanting a gun for matches. Then XDM trumps them all...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts