Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently live in Ga. where I can carry open. This is not a problem with my current handguns (Beretta 92F, Springfield 1911 and Ruger Redhawk), but causes me an issue when in Florida where I am spending about a third of my time due to my parents' health issues. In Florida I must carry concealed, which is really an issue when it's 80+ degrees for most of the year and you can't really wear clothing conducive to concealed carry.
I want a lighter polymer gun that will be easier for concealed carry. After looking at the Glock 22 & 23, Springfield XD/M, Smith M&P and Sig 250, I've narrowed it down to the Glocks and Springfield. The Glock 23 is especially appealing to me because of it's slightly smaller size, although I think the full size guns fit my big hand better (I'm 6'3" 280 with fairly large hands).
I don't think I can really go wrong with any of the three, but am kinda looking for input from people who own, and most importantly, carry one or more of the three.

Thanks in advance for your opinions...

·
Registered
26 Posts
May I ask why you decided against one of the M&P models for conceal carry?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
9mmman said:
May I ask why you decided against one of the M&P models for conceal carry?
Nothing wrong with it, I just didn't like the way the two I looked at fit me. Although I'm leaning heavily toward the Glock 23, the 22 and XD/M in full size fit my hand nicely. It's just the 23 is more easily concealed.

I don't think I could go wrong with the M&P, Sig, Springfield or Glock.

I had a couple of friends advise strongly against the M&P, but it was advice based on their ownership of Sigmas, so I felt it had no bearing.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I personally prefer the XD over any Glock and I have owned a handful of each (including the 23). I carry a Service sized XD-40 for a concealment gun and have no problems concealing it when wearing cargo shorts and a T-shirt providing the T-shirt is not overly tight fitting. Mostly I wear Columbia fishing shirst or the like and with a tuckable inside waistband (IWB) holster, I do not raise any eyebrows or cause women to faint (at least not due to my "gun" :D ).
I had an XD Compact but sold it as it was too short in the grip unless the finger extension was used which made the grip as long as on a Service model. As the grip is the hardest part of the gun to conceal, I felt the Compact did not offer any advantage over the Service model and sold it. As I carry IWB, the barrel length does not matter much until reaching over 6" for me.
I do not think poorly of the Glock, they ar egreat guns but they are just not for me. The grip design does not fit the bone and muscle structure of my and very well causing my scores to be markedly lower with the Glock. This is true of other guns with this much angle in the grip so is not peculiar to the Glock for me. As for the S&W M&P, I have shot them but have not had the opportunity to use them much. I have owned a Sigma and you are right that there is not much of a similarity between them, about as much as between a Yugo automobile and a Toyota Camry. I would not touch a Sigma if it could at all be helped, there are too many horror stories regarding them for me to place much faith in them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I carried an XD in 45 this summer, under fishing and T shirts in an inside waist band holster. I'm a big boy so it took a BIG shirt but it wasn't difficult to cover the weapon. I found it necessary to wear a white undershirt against my skin to protect it from the weapon, then a shirt over that. Each day I would wipe the gun with an oiled cloth because it got drinched daily from sweat. I've never owned or carried a Glock. I much prefer the XD over my M1911 Officers Model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Bought the Glock 23. I shot the G22, XD/m and G23. I actually liked the feel of the Springfield best, but with the LEO deal that Glock offers and extends to firefighters, the XD/m didn't feel over $200 better.

Over-all I'm satisfied with my purchase. About 200 rounds thru it so far without a hitch. Accuracy isn't quite what I get out of my 1911 or 92F, but they have a 1" longer barrel and, more importantly, I've been shooting them for years and have a feel for 'em. I'm sure after a few more sessions at the range, I'll have the Glock dialed in also...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. Glock is a fine weapon. I'm sure you will be happy with it for a long time to come. I own three Glock's and am very pleased with each and every one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts