Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey my first post here. i just got a llama yesturday but i didn't get any papers with it or register it in my name. so far i am the 4th owner of this gun i dont know who originally bought it but i personally know the 3rd owner he is a friend of mine he only had it for 2 days before i ended up with it and he got it for 150 dollars. i traded a high point 40 and a single shot 20 gauge for it. what i really want to know is how do i know its not stolen? is there any way to find out? and is there anyway to get it registered in my name without contacting the original buyer?

the serial number is still on there so thats a plus. and if it turns out to be stolen can i get in trouble for receiving stolen property even if i didn't know it was stolen?

·
Registered
944 Posts
What state are you in? In MI if a gun comes up stolen I believe the police attempt to contact the last known owner. It may just be confiscated though I'm not 100% sure about how that is handled. If you were that worried about it you should have probably passed on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ohio
im not that worried about it but if I ever want to sell it I wouldn't want to screw a friend over. I can always sell it back to the person I got it off of if I have to.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The smart and logical thing to do is to call your local Police or Law Enforcement Dept. and ask them if they can run the serial number on a handgun for you, to see if it has been reported stolen or not.
If it comes back clean or clear, then get the person's info doing the check on it, so that you have their name, date, and time it was ran.
Then keep All this information with you, just incase it ever Does come up stolen, so that you have proof that it was clear the day you purchased it, even if it is a few days later.
As far as registering it, You do NOT need to register a used weapon.
Better be Safe than Sorry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts