Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again I am being confronted and criticized about why I carry concealed. I will give two reasons. First, I carry beacuse it is my Right. Second, I carry just in case I ever need it to defend myself or family. I then hear the Brady Campaign preached to me about how in '98: 30,708 americans we killed by gunfire and only 316 were justified shootings.

First thing the comes to my mind is what precentage of that number was gang related violence.

I am doing my research now to give a better argument but I could use some help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, first thing that comes to mind is that more people die in cars than from gunfire in the U.S. but nobody would rightly criticize you for wanting a personal automobile.
Second, more people die from alcohol-related "accidents" than gun-related "accidents" yet you can still have a couple glasses of wine at dinner without being a social pariah.
Third, it doesn't matter who does what with their weapons, as long as you are a law-abiding citizen who plans to use your weapon only in defense of yourself and the innocents around you, nobody has the right to look down on you.
I know that's not very objective, or backed up with statistics (wouldn't be hard to find, though). My point is that you likely pose no more threat to me or anyone else out there than any random person simply because you happen to be carrying.

As far as that 30,000 figure, I'd be willing to bet money fewer than 1,000 were accidental.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Magilla82ABN said:
Once again I am being confronted and criticized about why I carry concealed. I will give two reasons. First, I carry beacuse it is my Right. Second, I carry just in case I ever need it to defend myself or family. I then hear the Brady Campaign preached to me about how in '98: 30,708 americans we killed by gunfire and only 316 were justified shootings.

First thing the comes to my mind is what precentage of that number was gang related violence.

The number of justifiable homocides is a red herring. Those who quote that statistic presuppose that the only definition of successful defensive use of a firearm is the death of the criminal. To my mind, that is the second-worst outcome (only being injured or killed by a thug is worse). Ask them if they think that a case where the thug runs away when he realizes that his erstwhile victim is armed and ready to defend him/herself is unsuccessful. What about the cases where the criminal is wounded but doesn't die? Is that unsuccessful in their book. If the argument that only a few hundred gun homocides are justifiable were valid, then there would be no reason to arm police.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Magilla82ABN said:

Here is my take on your SITUATION:

First: I carry a consealed firearm in my pocket and in my car. I have my Texas CHL. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE knows I carry. That way I avoid a pissing match with Ignorant dumb asses.

Second: I flat don't care what anti-gun people think, and neither should you. If I see threat, I will brandish my firearm and I'll do my absolute best to stop the perpetrator.

Third: Bad Guys don't care about you, me, the law, or anything for that matter. So if a bad guy gets blown away by a gun carrying citizen... I say damned good riddens...

Someday, anti-gunners will find out they need to standup for themselves and take responcibility for their actions, or lack thereof.

As far as statistics go, who cares? Virtually all the data you will find will be biased towards the searchers objectives anyway.

The REAL question Magilla82ABN is, how YOU fit into the "legal" carry environment. If your state deems you a responcible citizen and they have issued you a Consealed Carry License.... then don't waist your time trying to justify your right to carry to ANYONE. JUST DO IT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts