Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I just finished my CCH course last weekend, now I have to go through the application process. Presuming I pass, I am wanting to get a sidearm in the subcompact category.

Thoughts are:
Glock 26, 27, 36
Springfield XD 9 or 40
Ruger KP9

As you can see I am in the $500 range (+/-)
Do you have any suggestions that I am missing?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't forget the Glock 23 also, it is a mid sized .40cal.

Either the Glock or the XD are Great guns. Best advise is to go to a gun store and ask to look at them all, and pick them up and handle them to see which one feels the BEST in your hand.
I personally like the XD over the glock, just for the ergonomics of it. But then others like the glocks better.
If you can, go to a range and Rent them, or maybe a friend or two has one of the above listed guns, you could borrow it. otherwise, like I said, go to a gun store and handle them all and see which one fits and feels the best to you.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Any of the Glocks you listed would be good. All three calibers are relatively inexpensive. You might also include the G30, double stack 45acp.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I totally HATE a Glock for any sort of carry. They're FAT and bulky. The "compact" models are blocky and top heavy, clunky, poorly balanced. I hate the triggers.

XD is in the same boat. I have an XD, 5" "Tactical" 45 ACP. I don't use it for CCW.

I've been searching now about 15 yrs for a decent CCW gun. Inevitably it's a trade off:

Size, weight, caliber, capacity . . .

Most of the "Mall Ninjas" on these sites will insist that the only way to go for CCW is a 45 ACP, and in the next breath they'll tell you they have "no problems carrying a full size 1911."

Yeah, well . . .

I can carry a full size 1911 concealed. I can carry an XD Tactical 45 concealed, or a full-size Glock.

Give me a shoulder rig, a coat, and I'll pack a 44 mag. Desert Eagle concealed, or a 12 gauge Coach Gun.

But for day in, day out, everyday carry . . . You want small, light, THIN. You really don't need a double stack magazine. You really don't need a 45 ACP.

I'm 60 yrs old and have never been in a civilian fire fight. There's been a time or two I was glad I had a gun on me, but I've never drawn one in defense.

"Open carry" is legal in this state (Oregon), and so when I'm "out in the field" recreationally, I'm carrying a Smith 629, 4" bbl. in 44 magnum.

My CCW is mostly a Kahr MK9 -- before they offered these in polymer -- or a Smith Mod. 60 snub in .357 mag. Certain legal issues pretty much determine that carry on the belt is the best option. That's specific to what is legally viewed in this state as "concealed." On the belt is legal whether it's concealed or not.

A LOT of the time I opt for an NAA Guardian, 32 ACP in the pocket, with a 45 ACP in the vehicle. And because I'm in a rural, civil environment, a lot of the time I leave the 32 ACP in the vehicle too. We hardly ever have shoot-outs in Kroger's.

The upshot of all this is --

I've run through a lot of handguns for CCW. Full-size and compact 1911. Glock 22, compact semi-autos in 9mm, 40 Smith, 45 ACP. Snub revolvers in .357 mag, J frame and K frame.

It's nice to have OPTIONS. I find that having options is the solution to carry. Just like having options is the solution to footwear.

Before you jump into CCW with a fat, clunky, large caliber, high capacity semi-auto, try packing around something that size, WIDTH, and weight for a few days. WIDTH is the big issue in CCW, that and the length of the grip.

The Glock "compact" models are HUGE. Fat all around, huge trigger guard, bulky.

CCW is a trade off all the time. If you get a large gun, you'll soon discover that you don't carry it much. Before you jump, have a look at the compact, single stack 9mm stuff being offered now.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Personally - I got no problems with concealing the Glock sub-compacts. Must not be too heavy either since most times I forget its there. IWB holster works great for everything from shorts and a t-shirt to heavy bulky winter clothes .... just havent found a good carry option for when a tucked in shirt and dress pants are the item of the day

Oh and by the way - Since I'm saying how I like Glocks I guess I need to add that - I'm not a "mall ninja" either :roll:

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Re: re: Gun for CCW? - Details inside

Smoke 'Em said:
I totally HATE a Glock for any sort of carry. They're FAT and bulky. The "compact" models are blocky and top heavy, clunky, poorly balanced. I hate the triggers.
WOW :shock: I guess I had better sell the 11 I own. We should tell the THOUSANDS of LEO and Departments to get rid of theirs too. Thanks for the tip.

Just pullin your chain. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
BTW I am the original poster here

I do not consider myself a mall ninja. :lol:
I work in the WORST part of town in a nursing home, I do want something that will stop a crackhead.

Most of the weapons I named are 9 or 40's (one .45)
The glock 45 is because it is a single stack "thin" subcompact

My thoughts exactly on the bulk of the xd and glocks but I do want at least a 9mm (with some cor-bon +p you get some great knock down power)

Just wondering about other firearms that you can suggest that might work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've always wondered about these "inside the pant" holsters. I've tried to use them but end up not being able to sit down or bend around comfortably, so I've abandoned that type of carry. I still stick a gun minus the holster in my waist band with a shirt tail out but only for short periods of time. So you folks who use them, how does that work? You buy pants too big in the waist, or what?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: re: Gun for CCW? - Details inside

spydermn,

I still say go to a gun store and handle all the ones you've mentioned. Then pick the XD.. :D What ever feels comfortable in your hand is the one to get.
Personally I like the XD over the glock. It just fits SO much better. Less felt recoil too, which I believe is due to the ergonomics of the XD. 9mm or the .40 either one is a good choice, but I'd go with the .40... In this day and age, the ammo is not that much more....
As far as sub compact goes, I would not get one, to top heavy, just get the real thing..... 1 inch makes a World of difference... just ask the wife... LOL.. just kidding.... for the glock that would be the glock 23. or then again, stick with the XD Service... just thinking out loud.... :wink:

I do have to agree, that the XD and the Glock are bulky...but, if that is what it takes to get the job done, then that's what i'll use.
Although I did like my ol' Colt 1903 hammerless .32 cal pocket pistol...sure do miss that ol gun... :cry: it was close to perfect... only if it were a bigger cal. That's why I stick with the XD.... It works for me.

docmccoy said:
I've always wondered about these "inside the pant" holsters. So you folks who use them, how does that work? You buy pants too big in the waist, or what?

docmccoy,

Yes, I buy my pant 1 size bigger than normal to be comfortable. Once you do that, and buy a Quality holster, it isn't bad at all. I wear a Blade-Tech IWB holster. It is Kydex. I believe that Blade-Tech was the first to introduce the Kydex to the holster industry. There are tons of others out there, but I will stick with Blade-Tech.
Don Hume also makes nice Leather holsters. They have nice Quality leather.
Milt sparks I hear is the best, but 6 months to a year wait...why? I guess I will just stick with what I know Works.
Bunnyman told me about the Crossbreed Supertuck. It has leather against the body, and then half of a kydex as the holster. It looks comfortable, but I have not tried it.

Other than buying a size larger than normal for your pants, the IBW is the way to GO.

Blade-Tech IWB

Blade-Tech UCH IWB Holster....Ultimate Concealment Holster

Don Hume PCCH IWB holster.... Preferred Concealment Carry Holster

Don Hume Belt Holster

CrossBreed SuperTuck

I would not buy CHEAP... such as....no Fobus, & no uncle mikes....

Hope this helps.

By the way, I'm NOT a MALL Ninja Either... :lol:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a Glock 36. I really like the gun. It is small enough that I can drop it in my back pocket and carry it easliy. It is only 1.1 inch thick.
It has proven quite accurate at 25yds and shorter. I have never benched it but can easily hold a standard 25 yd pistol bull when standing up and shooting ball ammo. It shoots right to POA.
I recommend it w/o any reservation.
Pete

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi, my name is Bunnyman and I'm a recovering mall ninja...

RE The CrossBreed SuperTuck:

It's fantastically comfortable - more so than a kydex belt holster, even. The leather molds to your body contours over time, and the holster does not shift around at all - with a belt holster, I've found that if the gun has a fair amount of play it can become uncomfortable, whereas the IWB practically welds the gun in place, even while running and jumping. It conceals a P226 nicely under a light jacket, or even a polo or camp shirt. I'd err on the side of caution and go two sizes over on the pants, unless your idea of fun is sewing fly buttons back on. :oops: I find that the draw is almost as fast as a belt with practice - a wee bit slower if concealed.

I've found that all my kydex holsters (including the CrossBreed, because of the kydex clips) make bizarre squeaking noises when they interface with a leather belt.

Play around with the Eye-Dubya-Bees until you find a comfortable spot that doesn't print; About 4 o'clock works for me. A t-shirt works well for concealment until you move around, or you get any sweat/moisture on the shirt; it's especially noticeable if the gun is past 3 o'clock and you have to bend over. A light jacket or overshirt makes a chunky full-sized automatic disappear. The grip is what prints - a short grip on a slim gun will conceal well, regardless of barrel length. I'd happily conceal my CZ52 for that very reason, even though it's longer than the P226. For some reason, obscure Eastern European service automatics don't have a lot of aftermarket support when it comes to holsters.

Comp-Tac makes a few models of IWB that seem very popular - the C-Tac and the Gurkha. I can't personally speak for those models, but I use their basic belt holster and dual mag pouch for competition, and they are fantastic. Plus, Comp-Tac has bar none the best customer service I've had the pleasure of dealing with.

Cheers,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.