Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to help my parents get a better gun. They have a Ruger LCP 380, and a S&W snub nosed .38. My father can use either one, but my mother cannot chamber a round in the Ruger, and dislikes the S&W due to it's weight, and the trigger is a bit light for her, she claims it goes off by itself. Obviously, she needs a lot of range time with the gun, but I am sensing she just does not like it. I am not sure of the model number, will have to check next time I am at their house.

So, what I am looking for, is a small, lightweight revolver, that is not very expensive, and very reliable. I think she might be better off with a slightly smaller caliber than the .38, perhaps a 9mm?

I own a couple of wheel guns, but really like the autos better, so I am a bit lost here. Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Stay with .38 and use light bullets. If you need a lighter gun, get her an airweight frame S&W and use small bullets.

·
Registered
52 Posts
2 thoughts...

1) There's no 9mm revolvers out there (well, maybe some custom stuff, but nothing from a mainstream manufacturer)

2) Light = RECOIL! Train her to manage the weight-- it will be a much more pleasureable shooting experience for her.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Thanks...

The only reason I know this is a friend bought one. To me... they are the best use I've seen for 9mm. They allow a small profile and hide, nicely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, need to go to the store and see what all they have. Has to be light weight, or she won't carry it. So, possibly lower recoil .38 rounds, or perhaps a smaller caliber. Going to do some research, then get her into the store to handle some guns. I think one place rents handguns for their indoor range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts