Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the proud owner of a new .44 magnum Desert Eagle. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me to start reloadingfor it. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that they need pretty hot loads to cycle properly, but I can't seem to find much information.

I've been handloading for a .44 mag Super Redhawk for a number of years.

I tried out Nosler hunting handgun bullets, 240 grain, in mixed Win and Federal brass, with WLP primers and 24 grains of H110. I ended up with unburned powder and unreliable feeding and an occasional stovepipe. Today I'm going to try 240 grain XTP's over 20.5 grains of #9 with WLP primers and Hornady brass. Does anyone have a pet load that works well in their DEP? It's not much fun to have such a beautiful weapon that doesn't shoot right!

Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
149 Posts
i dont load for a DE, but here are some hints for autoloaders.

1. dont assume OP pet loads will work on your gun.
2. if you have shot some ammo that functions good, try to duplicate that load. of course you will need a chrono. measure/record bullet LOA, weigh
3. i would try some factory loads and see whats good and go from there unless someone else can give you a start.
4. someimes its the LOA that can cause FTF and it may require some tweaking
5. i usually use a fast burning powder for my autoloaders since i dont know what i will be shooting them out of. eventho some people dont like fast burning powder due to the possibliity of 2x charges, i visually check ALL of my rounds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts