Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guy's I'm very new to pistols, Im gunna be going to get my Conceal Carry in the next couple weeks. so i have been doing some window shopping. I have a list of guns that i have been checking out that are in my price range witch is around $600.

Springfield XD-M 9mm
Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm
Ruger SR9 9mm
S&W M&P 9mm
S&W Bodyguard .380
Ruger P90 .45
also a buddy of mine has a Sig Sauer P226 that he said he would sell for $500

Of course my final decision will be made when i can get these guns in hand and check them out and maybe even test fire. what do you guys think about these ?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hello guy's I'm very new to pistols, Im gunna be going to get my Conceal Carry in the next couple weeks.
These two comments in the same line have the hairs standing up on the back of my neck. If you want my advice, leave the CCW until you can take a good centerfire carry weapon and empty the magazine or cyl. into at least the 9 ring - every time you shoot. Practice both slow fire and rapid fire. If you throw a round off target - start over.

Being very new to pistols and believing you're ready to CCW will get you killed.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nice avatar!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get a NRA training course under your belt. Then go to a range that rents guns and try a few out. Many of the guns that you have listed are too large for year round carry. You could have two guns, a winter gun and a Summer gun. Then again, you may end up with an arsenal.

One brand you should look into is Glock. The Glock 19 & 26(9 mm) and their 40 caliber counterparts the 23 & 27 are very good for CC. There is a thread on another forum that I belong to that is titled "Glock 23, the perfect weapon for concealed carry" or something similar and it is years old and has hundreds of entries and is continually being added to. Glocks are in your price range. Also you should think about a revolver. S & W, Taurus, or Ruger may suit your needs. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree with what everyone has said. Training with the handgun, pistol or revolver, is much more important at this stage than a CCW permit. In fact, based on your statement, you may not qualify for a permit in many States. Having said that, taking the time to find a gun you like and shoot well is important.

If you take the time to learn semi-auto guns, so you know how to clear jams, load, unload, reload and fully operate the gun, then try a semi, but don't forget about a revolver just because it isn't cool or doesn't carry enough ammo.

And last, there is no one perfect handgun for all occasions, so you may want to consider a couple of guns, small and larger. The one benefit of a revolver may be that you can find a smaller gun that can do the job year round and maintain decent power.

Owning and carrying a gun is serious business. Carrying is easy. Learning to shoot is also easy and fun. But, learning when, where, how and why to shoot or not to shoot when armed with your CCW is a very difficult thing to learn. Take your time, go slow and don't become a public liability.

·
Registered
8 Posts
These guns are too big. YOU might want to consider to do some more training before you get your CCW. It might seem like an elementary thing , but there is a lot more to it than pulling the trigger.

And have you ever shot before at all, even rifles. This is a difficult question for me to answer other than the fact I think you need to get more familiar with firearms. I am 46 and been shooting sonce I was 8. SO it is all natural to me, I personally think you should start shooting a .22.

·
Registered
297 Posts
proxpilot

This thread is almost a year old. What did you decide to do?

·
Registered
13 Posts
:D Two great cuns I carry (not together) are the Ruger SR9c (compact) 9mm and the Bersa Thunder .380 I will trust my life to these guns every day. Very nice to shoot, accurate, and dependable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts