Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, thank you for letting me join the forum. I have a question about CCW. If i have a CCW license in PA and say i want to travel to FLA or AZ which reciprocate the PA CCW license. My question would be, how would you get your carry gun to that destination? Thanks, i appreciate your advice

·
Registered
640 Posts
If you fly, you can carry the gun as luggage per the airline regulations. If you drive, you can carry the gun in your car per the regulations of the various states and cities you travel through. If one has the gun unloaded, cased, and in the trunk or rearmost portion of the vehicle, they are usually good to go. You can also ship the gun to yourself at your final destination and then ship it back. To do this with a handgun you will have to go through a common carrier but not the U.S. Post Office.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Uglydog pretty much explained it. But I would check into using any shipping service as I understand it firearms can only be shipped from a person who has a federal firearm license to another who has a FFL no matter the shipping service. As for flying with a firearm they have to be in checked baggage, erxpected be declared and no ammo.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. When you say no ammo, does that mean you have to buy it where ever you travel to?

·
Registered
640 Posts
A person can ship a gun to themselves, even if it crosses state lines. It is only when one is sending a gun to a second person (other than a gunsmith or the manufacturer) that one must go through an FFL as this is considered a transfer of possession. If shipping a firearm to yourself, you would need an address to ship it to and someone to take in the package (wouldn't want it sitting outside the door for a couple of days). The receiving party should not open the package though, just secure it until the addressee can take possession. I do this when I go to Alaska as it is much cheaper than an extra baggage charge. This, as well as most other questions can be found in the FAQ section of the BATFE's website.

I guess I shold have been a little more thorough in my explaination, the gun needs to be unloaded, declared as such upon checking in (no use of Skycap or other curbside service, one must go through the lines to the counter), and show to the TSA agent that it is indeed unloaded. There are additional rules in regards to locks and accessibility but I can't recall them offhand. Check with the airline and the TSA website before you leave, this should be available there and the two are not necessarily the same. Ammunition is supposed to be in original packaging, weigh no more than 11 pounds, and be a separate piece of checked luggage. The few times I have packed ammunition with me I have had it in a clear plastic shell box with the pertinent info taped to the inside of the box. I was asked about it once but stated it was "custom" (didn't tell them handloaded) ammunition and that was the box the ammo came in. This box resided in a fitted compartment inside the hardcase and never raised a question among the airline staff. It has been a few years since I have needed to carry ammo with me, there very well may have been changes in that time. I mostly buy ammo when I get to where I'm going if I've flown, typically I'm there for a sporting clays tournament and need a lot more than 11 pounds of shotgun ammo. If driving, you may as well bring what you need with you.
furthermore, you really should check up on the laws, both legislative and case, pertaining to the use of a weapon for self defense and where one can carry in which ever state you will be carrying in. Reciprocity does not mean that all the laws are exactly the same and believing so can get you into a fair bit pf trouble.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: re: Hello New guy with a CCW question.

beericus said:
Thanks for the info. When you say no ammo, does that mean you have to buy it where ever you travel to?
Pretty much, I believe there is a legal way to bring ammo as checked baggage but I expect the the hastle and issues it may cause makes it an easy choice to buy where your going to shoot.

·
Registered
240 Posts

uglydog said:
A person can ship a gun to themselves, even if it crosses state lines. It is only when one is sending a gun to a second person (other than a gunsmith or the manufacturer) that one must go through an FFL as this is considered a transfer of possession. If shipping a firearm to yourself, you would need an address to ship it to and someone to take in the package (wouldn't want it sitting outside the door for a couple of days). The receiving party should not open the package though, just secure it until the addressee can take possession. I do this when I go to Alaska as it is much cheaper than an extra baggage charge. This, as well as most other questions can be found in the FAQ section of the BATFE's website.

I guess I shold have been a little more thorough in my explaination, the gun needs to be unloaded, declared as such upon checking in (no use of Skycap or other curbside service, one must go through the lines to the counter), and show to the TSA agent that it is indeed unloaded. There are additional rules in regards to locks and accessibility but I can't recall them offhand. Check with the airline and the TSA website before you leave, this should be available there and the two are not necessarily the same. Ammunition is supposed to be in original packaging, weigh no more than 11 pounds, and be a separate piece of checked luggage. The few times I have packed ammunition with me I have had it in a clear plastic shell box with the pertinent info taped to the inside of the box. I was asked about it once but stated it was "custom" (didn't tell them handloaded) ammunition and that was the box the ammo came in. This box resided in a fitted compartment inside the hardcase and never raised a question among the airline staff. It has been a few years since I have needed to carry ammo with me, there very well may have been changes in that time. I mostly buy ammo when I get to where I'm going if I've flown, typically I'm there for a sporting clays tournament and need a lot more than 11 pounds of shotgun ammo. If driving, you may as well bring what you need with you.
furthermore, you really should check up on the laws, both legislative and case, pertaining to the use of a weapon for self defense and where one can carry in which ever state you will be carrying in. Reciprocity does not mean that all the laws are exactly the same and believing so can get you into a fair bit pf trouble.
Dog I would check your facts as I understand even if a person is shipping a firearm to themself it requires FFL to ship it. All firearms shipped require proof of delivery to the addresse, no firearm will be left on the step or given to just anyone at the door. I expect you could ship it and not claim it is a firearm.

·
Registered
640 Posts

WDBradley said:
uglydog said:
A person can ship a gun to themselves, even if it crosses state lines.

Dog I would check your facts as I understand even if a person is shipping a firearm to themself it requires FFL to ship it. All firearms shipped require proof of delivery to the addresse, no firearm will be left on the step or given to just anyone at the door. I expect you could ship it and not claim it is a firearm.

Hopefully this comes through, its from the BATFE website regarding this issue. http://www.atf.gov/firearm/faq/faq2.htm#b9. If not go to the BATFE website, go to the firearms FAQ area and then look under B9 and you will find the needed info. As long as you are the addressee, the gun does not have to go through an FFL. I've done this for several years sending guns to myself as well as gunsmiths and manufacturers without needing an FFL though one cannot use the USPS for handguns.

When shipping a gun to myself when traveling, I use next day air (a must for handguns) and send the package overnight. If one goes to the shop after "last call" for the day, the package will probably go out on the first flight the next day which might be the same flight. More than once I have seen what later turned out to be my case placed into the cargo hold of the plane I was taking.

In a perfect world one should not find the package sitting on the door step but I, as well as others (including the person I send my guns to in Alaska), have on more than one occasion. One does need to declare the firearm when initially sending it but no markings identifying the package as being a firearm is preferred by the businesses I've used. This way the drivers and loaders have little idea what is contained in the package and reduces the odds for theft and/or loss. Same for delivery at the listed address, the delivery person will just drop it off with whomever will sign for the package and for that reason the BATFE recommends that the person accepting the package, if not the addressee, does not open the package as that is considered as "accepting" it. They may even go to a neighbor as has happened with every service I've used at one time or another, even USPS has done so and a stepson in that line of work does this every day.

It is also a requirement to declare it as a firearm upon sending it, if not it is a violation of company policy if not federal law. Also, if the package is lost or stolen, not declaring it can and probably will void any insurance claim you might make.
Again, for all of these reasons I suggested going to the BATFE, TSA, and airline (if traveling in such manner) websites to further educate oneself on the requirements of such travel or shipping.

Bringing ammo aboard a plane is not a problem if one follows the regulations, certainly not any more so than bringing the firearm. Unless one has some specialty ammunition that they just have to use and can't get anyplace else, it is much easier to buy once there as it is so easy to go above the meager weight allotment now allowed for air travel. That extra cost is probably much more than the price of the ammo.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not a sport shooter, i am only asking because i want to go on vacation and was wondering if i could bring my carry gun just for protection. I have checked my local laws, and just realize that they are to complicated to carry out of state. So i don't!! Its kind of funny though, where i am, i could fire a gun and hit my closest state, but i cant bring it in the state. Very odd system. The closest neighboring state is less then a mile from here.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The link didn't work Uglydog but something I will look into as it would be much easier than the routine I use. Who do you to ship?

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've shipped long guns via US Postal Service, FedEx, UPS, and once received a long gun via DHL without problem. Handguns cannot be sent by the USPS and have to be overnighted by FedEx and UPS. UPS requires firearms to be sent from a main store and not a branch or whatever they are called and I send by FedEx the same way as the shipping center is the closest place to me by far.
I send my guns mostly overnight as I am pretty certain of getting to the address I'm shipping to before they arrive when traveling. Doing so I seldom have more than a day wait and no angst if my flight is delayed for some reason. I know of several people who have had their guns shipped to the hotel they were staying at and had no problem doing so as long as they let the hotel know a package was coming. some told what it contained, others didn't and none seemed to have any issues. Then again, they were saying at the hotel that had a price package for event participants so that may have been a factor in their favor.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Intresting Uglydog,
Most of my travel I am staying at a hotel, some times with family but didn't know I could ship my pistols like mail. I tried once and Fedex told me they don't ship firearms with out a FFL transfer. Something I need to check into based on your experience.

·
Registered
160 Posts
beericus

What I normally do if I'm driving through another state that doesn't honor my PA license (like most of our neighboring states don't) is to just pack it in my suitcase till I arrive.

·
Registered
175 Posts
beericus;
You did not say whether you will be traveling by private vehicle or air or rail.
But assuming you are traveling by private vehicle why would you not take it with you.
Check to see which states recognize your permit or even require one and then plan accordingly.
I don't know about you but for me, I do not leave home without my gun(s), period. I have at least one with me at all times for protection. If you are interested in protecting yourself and family it will be difficult to do so without the means to do so.
Although it is true that LEO are not supposed to profile. they do and I do not fit a profile that would raise alarm or give cause or doubt which would have them ask to search my vehicle. But if that is a concern, then as already said, put it in the trunk with the ammo separate from the gun and go to the next area where they do accept your permit.
No one ever knows that I have a gun in the car/pickup/camper or on my person, ever. So I do not worry about being stopped for anything other than a traffic ticket and in that case they will not see it while I get my paper work out for them to read.

I travel a lot by air and by car and have never had a problem nor so I expect any and I will continue to carry for as long as I am able.
It is just unthinkable for me to be someplace without the means to at least try to defend myself and loved ones and most states at least recognize my permit and for those that don't I will just have to be more careful in where I go and what I do to keep from having to use my firearms, but they will be there none the less.

I recently traveled to SC for a firearms show hosted by one of my largest distributors. I checked one suit case with my gun and ammo, spare mag and flashlight and knife. As soon as I got my luggage from the aircraft I went to the first restroom and suited up. I do it all over the country and as I said I have never had a problem.
I have learned over many years of carrying which outfits work the best to keep my preferred gun with me and out of sight. You can do the same and when the time comes you will have it with you no matter where you may find yourself.
Hope this helps.

UF

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Uncle. I am not planning on going anywhere right at the moment i am just trying to plan ahead. I would love to be able to fly with my gun, as a checked in luggage and do what you said, suit up after i get there. I am just not sure where to check to see. IE i am planning on heading out to Flagstaff this summer and want to fly. I know AZ recognizes my PA ccw license. So if i could fly out there with my gun in my luggage that would be awesome.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Cap, and good luck on sunday. I hope Big Ben does a heck of a lot better then our QB did.

·
Registered
160 Posts

beericus said:
Thanks Cap, and good luck on sunday. I hope Big Ben does a heck of a lot better then our QB did.
Thanks ... for what its worth ... I thought an all PA super bowl would be fun ...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah i was hoping for that aswell. Oh well the Birds crapped out again. Steel City is all we have now, and the Phils

1 - 20 of 20 Posts