Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm new and I am new to shooting handguns. Put a few clips through my friends handguns at the range the other day and i was hooked. Had a blast. I'm not new to shooting guns by no means but i have just never been exposed to handguns until now.

I've been doing my research and i know i want to buy a 9mm because they are cheap to shoot and to get started on from what ive heard/read. But if i go with a .40 cal it would be a stretch.

Thats where i am stuck on the brands. I LOVE the feel of the S&W M/P, not so much the SpringfieldXD, and i never really thought about a Glock until i went to a local gunstore today and the guy let me hold a glock 19. Felt pretty good and very light. I want something that is light and fun to shoot and easy to shoot but accurate.

Any other brands i should be looking into? Only hand guns i have shot is a Tauras 9mm and 40 cal, and a .45.

I'm not looking for something to carry with me at all times, but i do want it to be small but not very small. I have big hands and i have held somewhat small handguns and they didnt feel good in my hands if that makes sense. I'm more or less just looking for something to shoot recreationally but keep in the house for the 'just in case'.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a S&W M&P in 45 cal and another in 9mm. The 45 I've have for more than a year and the 9mm for a few months and can say I've never had in issue with either and I shoot them often. Pretty hard to go wrong with the S&W M&P, it has a better grip angle over the Glock and has three different size back straps to better fit your hand and is more accurate in my opinion. I would suggest you get the night sights as it adds so much as a home defense/personal carry firearm.

Thats my 2 cents and welcome to pistol world, lots for good advice here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In my humble opinion, you can't go wrong with Glock, any Glock. 9mm guns are a good start- inexpensive to shoot and plenty of bang. Make sure you know how to clean it, mostly all you need is a "Bore-Snake", but it's good to know how to disassemble it, wipe it down, a little oil and put it back together. You've shot a Taurus, why not them? They'll save you some money at the counter. I've got a Millennium Pro and it's wonderful. It's accurate, light and easy to hide (you'll want to someday). Get your CCW ASAP before Obama's buddies have their way! One last bit of advice- join the NRA, get educated. Remember, only one person in the room should know you have a gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just a mild disagreement with aliasneo07, I own a 9mm millennium pro from Taurus, and it's been wonderful. Glock, as we all know, makes a great gun. But for a first gun, the difference in price alone makes Taurus worth a look.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input guys, i shot a wide range of guns ranging from glock to taurus to springfield and i loved the m&p overall. So i picked myself up one. Very light and easy to shoot. Actually put 2 boxes of 100 rounds through her today and loved every minute of it. :D

Whats so funny, my dad is lookin for him a gun now. haha

·
Registered
175 Posts
Indro;

Good on you my friend it sounds like your taking the time to handle a few before you put your money down has helped to make an informed decision which will in the long run make you the happy gun owner everyone should be.

I have had a retail business since 78 and built and opened an indoor range in 88 and the rental program has done more in our area to help people like you to make good decisions than anything coming down the road lately.

Aliasneo07 had hit right on the head when he recommended going to a range to try some before you buy some. But you have and you feel good about your choice and hopefully it will be with you forever and you will be able to pass it to a loved one later.

All of the choices you were considering as far as actual use were good as far as I am concerned. I have all of the models you talked about in my rental counter and if they survive that kind of use and abuse they will hold up to normal every day use and personal care for sure. I have wondered about why people are against the Taurus line of handguns when they have been around for a good amount of time now and their warranty is second to none and seldom does anyone have to use it. Also their guns are cheaper to buy than nearly any other gun of quality except the Rugers. The ones that I have in the rental counter are functioning without a problem. IMHO they are a good and quite frankly a better choice than others that are far more expensive. Their PT line of autos is better than the Beretta and their revolver line has been better than the S&W line of revolvers all during the years that the Brits owned S&W and they are still building some very fine revolvers.

I have a Glock 19 and and XD9 in the rental counter that both have in excess of 300,000 rounds through them and are just now going back for trade in. They had become test guns if you will and they have definitely proven they can stand up to anything and more that anyone would EVER put a handgun through. Neither gun has any discernible grooves or lands that I can see and of course we have had to change magazines and some minor springs and a guide rod on the G19 once, but other than that they have both functioned day after day for over two years now.

As far as the M&P or the Taurus for those of you considering, so far they are working very well. We are still having some problems with the M&P but nothing to worry about at this point or that would make me say stay away and believe me I am very vocal about staying away if I find a gun that does not work such as the old "Sigma". Remember, it is not unusual for these guns to be rented 5 to 20 times a day with a min of 50 rounds every time they go across the counter. They do not get cleaned as often as your own personal guns either which adds to their sturdiness.

Anyway I am glad to hear you got a good one and that you are happy with it and enjoying the handgun experience.

Take care all and Happy New Year to everyone.

UF

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: re: Help me choose my first handgun

idro said:
thanks for the input guys, i shot a wide range of guns ranging from glock to taurus to springfield and i loved the m&p overall. So i picked myself up one. Very light and easy to shoot. Actually put 2 boxes of 100 rounds through her today and loved every minute of it. :D

Whats so funny, my dad is lookin for him a gun now. haha
Congrats on your purchase Idro! I believe you will truly enjoy you S&W M&P, so which one did you get (9mm, .40 or 45)? Let you Dad shoot you M&P and I expect he will like it as much as you do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.