Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1911 that I am interested in getting some information on.

I will add some pictures and if you could please let me know if it looks refinished in any way.

Also would anybody know the value on this pistol?

I will describe the pistol to the best of my ability.

THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE PISTOL:

The only marking on here is on the lower and it is the serial number. it states "No 494113"

THE LEFT SIDE OF THE PISTOL:

The side of the SLIDE has "Remington Rand Inc. Syracuse, N.Y. U.S.A." and on the top of the slide right after the rear sight post it has the letter "P"

The lower has several markings. "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" with quite a bit of space after that it has "AA". On the trigger housing there is an engraving with the numbers "19" and then right above the mag release there is engraved "S17"

Alright I know it's allot of information thrown all in one context but I hope I explained sufficient.

I was just trying to add pictures and can't figure out where to do so. Can I only hyperlink pictures?

[/img]

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's a military issue 1911. "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" is the marking for govt. property in the military.

Remington Rand shifted from mfg of office equipment to the 1911 during WW II.

There are several 1911 forum sites online. Most of them can give you details about the markings on this gun.

I'm going to GUESS that the "p" is a proof stamp.

The 19 and S17 are likely production tracking numbers. I'm assuming the S17 is stampted on the slide. I'm again GUESSING that these numbers are stamps from inspectors.

"No 494113" is the serial number, and can give you the production date.

When you find a 1911 specific site, they can give you information about production, details about specific features. If you field strip the gun you'll probably find more marks inside.

When I was in the Army, 1966 - 1970, I had numerous opportunities to pack one of these 1911's home. They weren't tracked very closely, and the airlines didn't care if you had one stashed in your duffle bag.

Most of them were so loose that they rattled. They weren't at all accurate, and my attitude was, "Why would I want one of those?"

Why indeed, "kicking myself."

The simple reality is that your gun probably is stolen from the military. It might have been sold as "surplus," but it doesn't matter much. No one is going to bother with prosecution on an old military 1911.

-- I want one . . .

·
Registered
11 Posts
you have a arsenal re worked gun. that serial mumber indicates that it is a colt frame manufactured in 1918 so it isa 1911 frame with a slide made by reminington rand the aa sands for augusta arsenal which is where it was rebuilt. probably after ww 2 . when tese guns were rebuilt it was not uncommmon for parts to be mixed. It was also reparkerized at this time. this mixing of parts does lessen collector value. but it is still of collector interest valule is around 700.00 last time I checked. hope this helps. a good reference ic know your 45 by e.j. hoffschmidt the s17 indicates that the gun was originally inspected by springfield armory insector 17

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.