Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to buy a compact pistol that i can carry on me and also take to the range and have fun with. I will carry it on me all the time but i probably wont go to the range much with it but if i do i want it to be fun. I am not wanting to spend much money (which could be a problem). I shot a Bersa.380 and i liked it a lot. Please tell me your opinions or comments.
Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
I assume you want an auto, not a revolver. Since you have already had experience with the Bersa and liked it why not stick with it. They are very well made and good shooters. The .380 would not be my first choice, though - I'd look at a 9mm type, but if you are happy with the .380, go for it.

If you wanted a revolver, I'd recommend an older steel frama S&W Bodyguard or Chief Special.

mark

·
Registered
32 Posts
always go with the largest caliber you can comfortably shoot for defensive carry.once you decide on the caliber decide on whether you want a double or single action trigger/revolver or auto.then some web searches of the manufacturers to see what falls within your pocket book once you have them go to the gun stores handle them once you narrowed it done to a few rent those and shoot them to make final decision on the one you want.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Personally - I think your trying to make one gun do more than it was intended. If you want something to plink around with at the range and have fun with .... get a .22 They are easy on the recoil and cheap to feed - And get a larger caliber to carry.

I carry a Glock 39 and could not imagine going to the range and putting two-hundred rounds through it in a day (and actually going more than once every few months). Cost alone is enough to deter me. I used to carry a 9mm and that was not too bad on the wallet, but I still had a 22 with me. It really extended my time on the range and increased the enjoyment.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Your prerequisites are kind of vague.

What is cost is too much? Under $500, under $300?

How compact?

Keltec sells a .380, model 3AT, that is really small, smaller than the Bersa that you mentioned that sells for around $250.

They also sell two 9mm's that are small, the P11 and the PF-7 that usually go for less than $300. The P11 is a small, double stack magazine pistol that holds 11 rounds. The PF-7 is a single stacked magazine pistol that holds 7 rounds.

Glock and Springfield sell compacts that go for around $500.

You can buy them in 9mm or .40 caliber.

Glock models 26 in 9mm or model 27 in .40 caliber.

Springfield sells the model XD Subcompact in 9mm or .40 caliber.

There are also a lot of used Sig Sauer, model P6's aka P225, that have been imported into the U.S. They are 9mm, single stack mag pistols that hold a total of 9 rounds. They are going for around $326.

Used Sig P239's are going for around $500. They can be had in 9mm or .40 caliber.

You may also want to check out Kahr pistols.

In order of smallness, smallest to largest for the pistols I mentioned:

Keltec 3AT
Keltec PF-7
Keltec P11
Kahr
Glock & Springfield
Sig P6/P225 & P239

1 - 5 of 5 Posts