Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to help a friend out by cleaning his firearms. His dad died and left the guy the weapons. He has been getting a new busness off the ground and just has not had the time in the last 2 years with school, the family and the new busness to take care of this item. I am a retired marine, and I want to help my friend out because more than the monetary value, these things have sentimental value to him. So most of the firearms I can figure out how to clean, or I can get the manual online. This Herbert Schmiut .22cal has been a pain in the butt to find a manual for taking this weapon apart. It is a cowboy type weapon I have next to no experiance with revolvers. I am having some trouble with this weapon. Any help would be very appreciated.
The detials on this Herbert Schmiut:
Barral
Top: .22 cal LR
Bottom: Germany 277344
Side: Stamped with what could be two crossed flags
Frame
Side: Has the 3 German prof stamps done in 1967
Bottom: 277344
This is a SA revolver

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever get the info on dismanteling the revolver? I have no personal experience with this brand (which I believe is Herbert Schmidt), but I've seen a few several years ago. They look to be a Colt copy and I would expect them to come apart the same as a Colt single action army. Numrich Gun Parts or Dixie gun Works should have schematics on their web sites. If you can't find any, let me know and I'll make a copy and send it to you. They aren't hard to take apart. Just watch where the screws come from, as some look alike except for the length. If you remove the hammer be careful when reinstalling so you don't bend the hand spring. Put the mainspring on loosely, so you can easily get it under the hammer, then tighten the mainspring screw. When ireinstalling the trigger and bolt spring, make sure the end of the spring engages the step on the trigger before you fully tighten the screw. Hope this helps. L.O.G.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks anyway i forgot I even made this post I figured it out and got the weapon cleaned and in as good a working condition as this brand of handgun gets into. I have told the guy to not use it much and to take it to a real gunsmith for a true testing. Thanks, for your input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.