Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I recently lucked into the Purchase of a Hard to find Model of 1950 Forth Model Hand eject in .44 Special from a S&W revolver collector friend of mine. This revolver is the one that Elmer Keith Pushed hard for being the Loyal .44 Fan that he was, and also was the Platform Gun used to develop The Famous .44 magnum which came out later in 1956 as the Pre-29 .44 Magnum. The model was released in September 1950 and this one shipped just For Months after it was Introduced being January 1951. It was a special order revolver with the High Polished Bluing added along with the Full Target embellishments of a Target Trigger and Hammer. The stocks shown on it were actually made a little later than the revolver as in 1951 they had not released the Larger Target stocks yet, they came in Spring of 1952. I do have the Original Magna grips for it, that are much smaller and the addition of these allows easy target shooting for me. The Box is a factory stamp over box that was a left over from The Grandfather of this revolver known as the Target Model of 1926 which was a triple Lock .44 special revolver. The factory used these early on and added the sticker to attract sales and not add to the confusion of what model it was. The revolver is also what they call a Transition revolver as it has the Mushroom style extractor end used in the Pre-War Models as S&W was Not Known to waste any parts, so this Transition model was Built to use up existing supplies of the previous Third series hand eject Model .44 special revolvers. The factory letter indicates this one shipped to JD Folsom Arms in new York City, of which they were a large distributor for S&W revolvers back then, and sadly after the death of Lloyd Folsom in 1954 They closed there doors..The Model of 1950 Lost it's popularity after the Introduction of the Pre-29 magnum in 1964 so after a 17 Year run in 1967 S&W Ceased production of this model making only 5,050 of them ever being made. Hammerdown

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
re: Here's One for the .44 Fan's. The Model of 1950 .44 Spec

That is beautiful, made when folks took pride in what they did.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: re: Here's One for the .44 Fan's. The Model of 1950 .44

Rev. said:
That is beautiful, made when folks took pride in what they did.
Hello Rev
I am with ya here. To me, this was the Height of worker Pride at S&W and it was a spill over of Loyal workers that were skilled Tradesmen Proud of what left their bench after being built. This has Long slipped away in todays care free Cookie Cutter throw away world, so when examples like this Pop Up, It Takes us back to American Pride in the work place.. Hammerdown

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hammerdown: Looks great, what a super find. Prime example of quality workmanship that has slipped through our fingers. Looking at that beauty takes me back to a different set of values. The box sure adds a nice touch as does the stocks.

Regards:
Rod

·
Registered
297 Posts
I found this one this week. It's a 3" 24-3. It doesn't begin to compare with what you got, but .44 Specials are pretty hard to come by these days!

The Pachmayr grips will be gone ASAP, and a Tom Threepersons will be coming soon, as well.

Well sorry. My picture exceeds the limit, and I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roadkill Bill said:
I found this one this week. It's a 3" 24-3. It doesn't begin to compare with what you got, but .44 Specials are pretty hard to come by these days!

The Pachmayr grips will be gone ASAP, and a Tom Threepersons will be coming soon, as well.

Well sorry. My picture exceeds the limit, and I don't know what to do.

Hello RoadKillBill
I also recently Picked up a model 24-3. Here is the One I found Unfired... They are getting scarse as well....Hammerdown

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.