Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like date of manufacture and estimate of value on the following: high standard double nine, .22 cal, nickel, longhorn emblem, model w100, 5 1/2", serial #897xxx. the gun shoots great. any help would be appreciated. thanks, alan

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
If you can locate the 2 letter code, I can tell you year and month of manufacture.

Value if in 100% condition is $265.00.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only thing stamped on the gun is 897xxx and below that is w-100. on the barrel is an emblem of a longhorn with the words double nine above it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a Hi Standard Sentinel - a great revolver - and most of the Double Nine owners I have heard from really like them.Many have been passed down through families and still are fine shooters.

My 1983 Gun Digest lists your gun at $250.

Enjoy.

mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently recieved a Model W-100, "Double Nine" from my Uncle, it was originally the property of my Father, and now it has come to me. This fine revolver has a rather long history in the family. I first fired this pistol, under my Fathers watchful eye, when I was at the ripe old age of 4 years, and I hadn't seen the gun since. However, now that I have reached age 50, it has returned to me.

When Dad passed on, some 40 years ago, my Uncle took possession of the gun, now my Uncle has reached the age of 70, and he has decided to generously pass it on to me. The old Double Nine has become a real connection to Dad, and though the gun is over 50 years old, it still shoots like new.

I have fired the "Single Six" from Ruger, and the .22 "Diamondback" from Colt, but the High Standard Double Nine is still my favorite, I can't say if the reason is that it was "Dads Gun" or if High Standard just made a "Jewel" in the Double Nine, but I feel it may be a bit of both.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: re: high standard double nine

adr said:
the only thing stamped on the gun is 897xxx and below that is w-100. on the barrel is an emblem of a longhorn with the words double nine above it.
Same thing on mine, except mine has the number 853190.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the posts. the gun belonged to my father-in-law. i felt that my brother-in-law or some other relative should have it, but i ended up with it. my 12 year old son loves to shoot it and i will give it to him when he is old enough.

·
Registered
147 Posts
High Standard made some great handguns - some great shotguns, too - and till recently they have been pretty much overlooked, except in cases like this where they have become treasured family heirlooms. They are generally very well designed and well made guns, and I feel fortunate to own one.

A lot of them seem to have stood up well over time and they are favorite guns of a lot of folks. They still mainly get a bad rap, and are usually a bargain to buy used. I'm keeping my eyes open for another later this year.
Enjoy it.

mark

ADDED: Please see my new post on High Standard .22 speedloaders in "General".. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts