Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just checked Tom Dance's High Standard Collector's Guide. There is no six digit serial number listed below 330,000.
Are there any other parts to the serial #? Where was the gun made - Hamden or Hartford or somehere else? I am not familiar with the H.D. designation. What model is the gun?
Pete
If the number was 1279145, it would have been made in 1962 and be a series 103.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yep. Turns out that I didn't look hard enough in Dance's book. Nice looking gun. One of the hammer guns produced by H-S as "fallout" from their military production.
Dance writes: "Compared to other exposed hammer guns both the HD Military and the HD were produced in rather large volumes. The HD Military, in fact, was the most common of all the early models. Additionally, this gun proved so popular that it was continually offered right up to, and through the later G series". That would account for the late 1940's manufacture date for your HD; that is when H-S began to make the G series.
Dance also wrote "Finding an HD used to be easy. Now this is beginning to change." That was in 1991.
Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.