Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm looking for a solid full size .45 ACP pistol for mainly target shooting. I've had a SIG PRO (.357 SIG) and currently own a Glock 33 (.357 SIG) for personal protection and home defense. I'm torn b/t both of the them and would like some personal opinions on both. I've been unable to find a shooting range that has either available to shoot so I'm looking for ppl with experience shooting both. I have shot many other weapons including a Kimber Ultra CDP II that was enjoyable but the 7 mag capacity seems to be a hastle to constantly have to swap out mags while shooting.

Thanks!

·
Registered
606 Posts
brewsk1 said:
......full size .45 ACP pistol for mainly target shooting.....
Get a 1911 of whatever flavor suits your fancy. When it comes to punching paper, the 1911 has no equal.

Small mag capacity isn't really an issue for target shooting.... the object is to punch the center out of the target rather than see how much lead you can shoot in as short a time as possible. You can get 8-round mags for the Gov't model that fit flush, and if you want to "go big or go home", there are some wierd ones that hang about 4 inches out the bottom of the grip.

In addition to paper punching, you can get into race-gun competitions, where the 1911 also dominates.

Note that Todd Jarrett uses a 1911:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... rret&hl=en

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah. Good advice. The 1911 is the way to go for target shooting.....really the only way to go. Despite the good reputation of many manufacturers (HK, Glock, Sig-Sauer, etc.)producing guns in the combat arena, their firearms are conspicuously absent from "the line" at matches. Take a trip some summer to the Nat'l Matches at Camp Perry and walk down the line, look at what the winners are shooting - 1911s.
I was able to shoot the HK USP at a pistol match when a new shooter brought one to one of our winter matches last year. Nice piece for what it is but it could not shoot with any of the 1911's that were there - even when benched.
Pete

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go with the Kimber. The H&K is not nearly as good for target shooting. Now, if you want a pistol that is purely for concealed carry or home defense, or know that you are gonna get in a knock-down, drag-out firefight, the H&K is the choice...but realistically, the Kimber is FAR better suited for your purpose. Plus, its a 1911, so: you know it's reliable, you know it's simple, and you KNOW it's accurate. Well, thats my two cents.

·
Registered
141 Posts
To quote Xavier, "The USP is a good reliable gun with a trigger that pretty much ruins the package." You really don't want a bad trigger in a pure target gun.

And anyway, if you want a high-cap .45, there's a whole slew of double-stack 1911 variants, from the Para-Ordnance line on the affordable end to STI and SVI on the second-mortgage end...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts