Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I'm sure this topic has been beat to death but here goes anyway. I am going hog hunting in either Arkansas or Tenessee. My understanding is it will not be uncommon to shoot one in the 2-300 pound range. I plan on taking a pig with a .30-06 rifle. My question is do I need a handgun for close range back up? If so what would you recommend? The biggest gun I own is a 1911 in .45 acp. I am not going to take a pig with a handgun unless it is to save my butt. I also really don't want to invest a lot into something I probably won't shoot unless I really need to. Sorry for being long winded I'm just not sure what to do. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The .30-06 is all you'll need. If you really want a handgun to tote along, and you're anticipating a 300 pound pig, you're into .44 Mag territory. A .45 ACP will just aggravate him.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wwb said:
The .30-06 is all you'll need. If you really want a handgun to tote along, and you're anticipating a 300 pound pig, you're into .44 Mag territory.

A .45 ACP will just aggravate him.

So you're talking from experience?

·
Registered
585 Posts
So you're talking from experience?
I've killed two large feral hogs with my Springfield Mil Spec .45acp and ball ammo at very close range. Both were head shots from a ladder stand over a trail. Distance was about 5 yards. Don't think I'd want to try Russians that way, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts