Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you leave it in your holster, or do you place it in the vehicle somewhere?

I have using this for a few months now.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm thin and have no fight drawing, given that I carry cross-draw. I have to admit, however, that your rig intrigues me - especially for the many long trips I make. Convenient and provides a use for my otherwise useless Uncle Mike's nylon holster! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I carry on my right hip, that way it is always with me. It would stink to have a slight fender bender only to find when ou get out that it was a staged accident in order to get you out of the car. On the same token, it would be very easy to miss the gun in such a place if you were to get into a serious accident and be transproted to the hospital. Many tow services, at least the drivers, are not adverse to making a little extra on the side by selling items they can filch from a tow. This seems particularly true in the case of accidents as the contents are often jumbled around enough to make an inventory difficult and a number of officers make a cursory inspection at best as they are also attempting to reconstruct the accident. Being a deputy, I have personally seen this last all too often as well as having to take the theft report and investigation later on.
A good holster is notan uncomfortable thing to wear and I must be lucky I have found a great one. I can and do wear mine non-stop from northern MN to far southern Arizona and back every winter. I put it on when I get up in the morning at home and take it off 20 hours later when we get to the hotel in Wllcox. Three of us will drive straight through so that means I sleep with it on in the back seat of my crew cab pickup. I do not have a problem drawing from the driver's seat either, I am not heavy set but I am definitely not thin either but drawing is not a problem with my IWB holster. It must be high enough to get up over either the middle console in the car or the arm rest in the truck as they do not seem to be in the way. I know my dity rig can be a problem when seated but it sits a couple inches lower too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That one would get you at least a stern lecture from LEO in Virginia. Most likely... a trip to :? jail. In Va. it's on the seat clearly displayed if you are not CCW. If you are CCW you can lay it on the seat or carry it CONCEALED on your person. It can really depend on whether the LEO's main squeeze was "nice" :) this morning.
CCW basicly :evil: stinks, as far as I am concerned, but I am just Sidney Citizen, so I don't count for squat.
///olde 8) pharte///

·
Registered
231 Posts
Okay, it is the responsibility of each person to determine the legality of carry in their state. :eek:

For Banshee.............this works!!!!!!!! :)

If it isn't legal in your state.........or you don't like it..........DON'T use it!! :cry:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yes, I took it for granted that displaying a handgun, presumably loaded, meant that he was a CCW.

I think his method has merit and I also think his question does not and should not evoke a negative commentary on either CCW or his technique, but, rather, on his question. How do you carry in your vehicle?

·
Registered
110 Posts
If I had known the Pistolworld Censorship Society was on duty, I'd have just PM'd the guy.
I was : 1- trying to save the fellow some real :evil: grief if he carried like shown in Virginia.
2- I expressed my dislike for VIRGINIA ccw, but that apparently just sailed :roll: over your heads.
..............................end of response.....................
Have an enlightened day.
///olde :) pharte///

·
Registered
1 Posts
1gpslover, thanks for your input - and you got me thinking. I went out and double checked online, and with a state and a local cop that are neighbors. A concealed firearm in a car is one that can be reached and is not in obvious view (on the seat fully exposed). The concealed carry permit "makes it legal" to carry one in the glove compartment, center console (where I put mine to save my hip on a longer drive), etc.

Here is text from the VA state police web site.

Based on the statute and decisions rendered by the Supreme Court, a weapon is considered to be concealed at any time it is placed in a location as to be within reach of the person, without the person being required to make an overt act to retrieve such weapon, when such weapon is hidden from common observation. Placing a weapon under the seat, on the seat hidden from common observation, or at any location from which the weapon can readily be retrieved is considered to be concealed. A person carrying a weapon in the unlocked glove compartment of an automobile, if the person does not have a permit or otherwise fall within any statutory exemption, is a violation of § 18.2-308(A), unless some particular fact or circumstance renders the weapon inaccessible.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a seat belt holster that is a "bucket" style that holds everything from a Glock 21 to a 2" J-frame Smith, and of course everything in between. This is made by Lever Leather Works. http://www.levergunleather.com/p_holster_rigs.htm

When I sit down I transfer the gun from my hip holster to the seat belt holster. Comfortable as it can be, and very easy to get to.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I subscribe to the theory that while I am in the driver's seat, my best weapon is my vehicle, so I will be moving unless circumstances dictate that I cannot (such as stopped at a light in traffic). As I normally carry off-duty in a Blackhawk Serpa (and on duty in a duty-style Blackhawk Serpa) I still have the Serpa on my belt. If stopped and unable to drive when attacked, I can still draw from this position.

As a side note (and I'm sure you know this anyhow) do you practice presenting from whatever you choose? Do you have a range you can drive onto and shoot from the vehicle? I really recommend it if you have this as a possibility.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Banshee said:
do you leave it in your holster, or do you place it in the vehicle somewhere? .......
If you're the vehicle's driver, then, you should always carry your pistol on your right hand side. The best location on your belt to carry a sidearm while you're inside a vehicle is over your appendix @ 2:00 o'clock. (Because a crossdraw holster is always a bad idea!) :wink:

NEVER remove your pistol from its holster until you're ready to fire it; and, NEVER leave your pistol loose inside a vehicle, either. There are no exceptions to these rules. They're hard; they're fast; the FBI has proven them; and they're true.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts