Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear your ideas on how to safely neutralize bad pistol ammunition.

Over the years I have aquired about 50 rnds of various ammo that, for one reason or another, can not pull apart.

How would you go about the task of making sure that these rnds can not go boom? I'm not looking to save the brass or any of the components. Just safe disposal of these problem children.

TIA

·
Registered
606 Posts
Overcrimped said:
.......I have aquired about 50 rnds of various ammo that, for one reason or another, can not pull apart.......
Do you have an impact-type bullet puller? That will pull darn near any bullet, even with a heck of a crimp. Got any reloading friends who might have one?

If not, take a good pair of side cutters and cut the case in half at the base of the bullet, dump the powder, and put a drop of oil in the flash hole.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Overcrimped said:
I would like to hear your ideas on how to safely neutralize bad pistol ammunition.

Over the years I have aquired about 50 rnds of various ammo that, for one reason or another, can not pull apart.

How would you go about the task of making sure that these rnds can not go boom? I'm not looking to save the brass or any of the components. Just safe disposal of these problem children.

TIA
I let them soak in WD-40 in a soup can then drill a hole in the casing if all you're going to do is throw them away.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all.

I'm just nervous about cutting, drilling and other forms of mechanical aggression to live ammo.

The ammo has damaged cases or slugs, or some reason it will not fit into a collet or inertia type of puller.

I may just leave the collection to someone (that I don't like) in my will. Let them take care of it :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
You could try bringing them to your local police dept.
If they wont accept them for a controlled detonation,
they may recommend someone who will.

Your Fire Dept, local Hazmat or a military base may also accept them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Soak them in WD40 as stated for one day and it will completely and forever neutralize them.
In addition if you have a range in your area, they will normally take them and beyond that, invest a few dollars in one of Dillon or RCBS impact bullet pullers as you will use it often and for many years.

UF
www.caswells.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts