Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a law prohibiting certain firearms from being used in hunting? What I mean by this is: Is there a law prohibiting the use of certain civilian firearms (Such as the HK SL8-1, or the FN FS200) while hunting? Of course, I'm talking semi-automatic weapons here, although I'm curious as to whether or not we're allowed to use weapons that were modified to have full-auto.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Hunting laws and regulations are normally a State thing. There are 50 different States, each with their own unique laws and rules.

Some States, such as Illinois, prohibit hunting with rifles of any kind.

Some states prohibit full auto for hunting. Some States prohibit siencers.

Some states specify that the rifle caliber can't be smaller than .243.

Some states prohibit hunting with firearms with a magazine that holds more than 5 rounds.

You have to read your own individual state laws and answer your question for your state.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pistolero has it pretty much nailed, and has done a fine job in doing so!

I can only speak to how things are in my home state. Generally speaking, under Pennsylvania State Game Laws, no autoloading pistol or rifle may be used in hunting large or small game in the state. Autoloading shotguns may however be used in the taking of small game - rabbits, pheasants, grouse, woodcock, etc.

Furthermore, in some of the more populous counties, called Special Regulation Counties, only rimfire manually-operated (lever action, bolt action, pump action, single shot) rifles, or pistols (single action revolvers or single shot pistols) may be used to hunt small game and varmints such as groundhogs or foxes.

Deer hunting with firearms in these Special Regulations Counties is restricted to Slug Guns (manually-operated shotguns) or Muzzleloaders.

So, as you can see, you better know where you are in the state and what the rules are. Furthermore, if I decide to hunt 3 miles to the west of my home I will hunt under a whole different set of rules and I have to know the difference.

The good news is that I have a lot of terrific excuses for a lot of different guns!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts