Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a lot of gun magazines and shoot a lot of targets. I've tried all calibers and of course love my .45 acp best, figuring that it has the most knock down power. Foiled again. I watched "The Best Defense" on TV today (Outdoor Channel) and one of the demonstrations done was to test how safe it is to take shelter beyond a bookcase with few books. They shot a .38, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45. The .38 went through two paperbacks and lodged in a third. The .40 went though two books and pushed more books away, but did not penetrate the third. The .45 didn't make it through the first book, though it pushed the books hard. The 9mm went through 5 books and lodged in the oposite side wall of the case. Nine mil really is strong!

Dave :oops:

·
Registered
149 Posts
im glad you read and shoot alot and love your 45. but imo people place too much into caliber, ballistics, FPE, ballistic gellatin..ect.

to me, there are so many factors that could affect how effective the caliber works like bullet type, shape, weight. also, what the bullet is passing thru.

i for one belive in being able to hit what you aim at and not belive in the "one shot" kills.

yes, the 45 is a great round, but if you cant hit what youre aiming at, what good is it? same for a nuke, if you can drop/place it near or on the target, its it any good? it goes for any weapon system.

also, how realistic is that scenario? I can see if you live/work in a library, it would be relevant, but how much time does one spend in a library, or have book cases like that in their home? I would think that shooting thru a wall of "typical (whatever that is)" construction would be more relevant.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good reply, thanks. The thing about the demonstration that was so interesting is that if you are the victim of a home invasion or in a store or whatever where a psycho decides to strike, it's nice to know where you can temporarily take cover. If a few loose books will stop a round, you need to look for an object with a little bit of loose mass to get behind. You see, that was one of the objects of the demo. If the shelf had been packed tight with books, the penetration probably would have been deeper, but the few unsupported books were mobile and their action after the impact of being moved slowed the travel of the bullet. Good to know. Stay safe.

Dave :p

·
Registered
240 Posts
That is a poor expression at best. Yes the 9MM will rip though more books. A in and out wound with other damage from that round possible. IMHO I want a round that hits the target hard, knocks them off there feet and doesn't go on to hurt other people. The 45 APC puts a big hole in the intended target, it doesn't pass through like the 9mm it is the prefect round to drop a bad guy with out passing through to hurt others.

I own and enjoy several handguns, some are 9mm. Like most I carry a 9mm for size and weight. Capacity is honestly a poor reason, all that expresses is you haven't taken the time to shoot well. Most days I carry a 45 apc a bit more weight, less rounds all the same I know if I am in that place in time that round will serve me well. My 9mm is easier to carry and holds more rounds but it is at best a lazy carry for me.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have to agree with WD here, the 45 ACP is a hard hitter
and its Impact and shocking ability does the job better than
shooting half a magazine of pass throughs and the guy is still able
to shoot back at you.
Believe it or not the 230 gr FMJ + P round
will penetrate and break bone and get to the vitals to do major
damage so that the offender wont get back up! You can bet
the bank on that! :)
Regards Sig Shooter

·
Registered
585 Posts
My carry is a Commander, .45 acp. I can tell you what damage a round thru the sternum will do, first hand, and that's mostly thanks to the increased mass of bone and cartilage that the bullet carries with it. In winter, I always carry fmj simply to penetrate the clothing we wear... in summer I carry the fmj because Detroit is notorious for drive-by's and I want through the sheet metal or glass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts