Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello primer poppers,

Wish I had a picture to show, or I hope someone has watched Gunsmoke and has lots of knowledge about pistols used. I know it was Hollywood but this one has got me. I've been going thru all my books & the internet for a couple of hours now and I am stumped. I was recently watching a Gunsmoke Season 7 episode #26, 1962, named "urham Bull"and noticed a pistol I am having a hard time identifying. In the show a grandpa & grandson purchase a Hereford bull to take back home to Texas. Bad guys try to steal the bull but the grandpa, Henry Squires, shoots the leading bad guy, Lou Stiles, in a shootout in Moss’s Stables.

I’ve tried identifying the pistol Squires uses and am stumped. The pistol almost looks like a Colt Frontier model as it has that type front sight and an ejector tube on the right side of the barrel. Then looking at the tube it's positioned up high on the barrel and it doesn’t seem to be positioned where it would actually be lined up with a chamber of the cylinder, and also the right side plate doesn’t have a ‘groove’ in it to allow the ejected brass to exit the cylinder. It does have a screw in the center of the right plate and a pin or screw under the cylinder also, but not two screws close together. The pistol’s frame, next to the hammer above the grip, curves up to the rear sight smooth like an 1889 Navy, not with a small hump like the Frontier. I almost say it is a Navy model but it does have a tube on the right definitely showing the ejector spring & push rod on the side of the barrel.

The pistol looks so close to a Frontier with features similar to a Colt 1889 Navy. Anyone can help id this I would be grateful. I rarely have this much trouble ever identifying pistols on shows but this one has me stumped. It almost looks like a later model S&W frame even. Usually weapons on Gunsmoke match up with the period of the show. I can’t see them using a modern pistol when I usually see the common SAA’s, Bisleys, Derringers, dbl barrels & other long guns of that era, plus the black powder firearms. Does anyone have any idea where movie information like this is recorded or where to ask someone. I like collecting the “Cowboy Era” firearms and hope to ID this one.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
LaRenegade

“Center Mass, Double Tapped & Problem Solved, 45acp Style!”

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for trying but way off. Without a doubt it was nothing cap & ball. It had the look of a Frontier Colt in the cylinder area and barrel with the backstrap/trigger of a Colt 1889 Navy or a Smith model 10.

Waitin' for another chance to find something similar.

Thanks again,
LaRenegade

Center Mass!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope not a Lightning!

Closest example of the hammer/rear of cylinder area that this pistol looked like can be seen @

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Gun-Libr ... t103582080

Add the barrel & ejector tube of a 5" Lightning or SAA and that is it. That's why I'm stumped. There was no loading gate and the entire right sideplate was all flat from front under the barrel below cylinder back to the grips. No step like under the cylinder above the trigger on the Lightning was present. And the Lightning has a hump like a SAA above the grips under the hammer. The New Navy curves up to the rear sight area like a S&W almost not like the SAA.

So could this have been some kind of Hollywood combination pistol that shoots blanks, has an ejector tube but no cylinder gate to unload? Did anyone build custom guns like this for the movies? Add a barrel from a Colt to a frame of a S&W. 2 halves from 2 different pistols put together front & back different guns!

I've given myself headaches 3 times so far trying to find something about this pistol. I got a good look at it and am sure of what I describe. I have DISHTV and had the episode recorded. I was able to back it up over & over & view the pistol clearly & close up, as Grandpa Henry Squires and bad guy Lou Stiles were shooting at each other. The whole right side of the pistol was clear.

Hope someone out there can watch the Gunsmoke episode Durham Bull and check out the pistol. It happens towards the last past of the episode when the bad guys all get caught.

Thanks all,
LaRenegade

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!!!" --Wyatt Earp[/color]

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Sounds like you might be right about it being a Hollywood prop gun, modern double action with fake ejector tube added to it.

I will keep looking into it, as you now have me intriqued.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts