Pistol World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beginning to dabble in IDPA shooting.

I don't know which division my guns qualify to compete in. I have looked at the IDPA site and the Rules Book, still confused.

I have 2 semi-auto 9mm hadguns to shoot.
A Ruger P-95 DC, double action/single action w/decocker, no safety.

A Tanfaglio/EAA double action/single action w/combination decocker-safety. I believe this is a CZ-75 clone.

Should I compete in SSP or ESP?

I have not yet participated in a sanctioned shoot. A local club has occassional fun shoots. I have participated in the fun shoot only once, but could easily become addicted and plan to shoot again.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mule,
What I said about the classification of your two pistols isn't entirely correct. I went astray when I used the phrase "limited to" when describing the ESP classification.

Pistols like you own typically would be in the SSP category; however, you can "elect" to shoot those same pistols in ESP and CDP if you desire. You might want to if you are desirous of multiple classifications. I think you would be at a slight dissadvantage against single action styles, but not if you are comfortable with your pistol (seems to me last year's IDPA overall champion shot a Sig).

Certain modifications to DA, DAO, and Safe Action pistols (e.g. add-on mag well openings, checkering and stippling) eliminate the pistol from SSP and then registration in ESP or CDP becomes necessary. I hope all this isn't too confusing; I fear I didn't do a very good job of explaining. BTW, I neglected to say, one single action that is the quintessential ESP is another by John Browning, the Hi-Power. T

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, I keep having to amend my response to Mule (although it appears he has moved on to better things).

I was told this Saturday that the CZ-75 is really an either/or SSP or ESP pistol depending on whether or not you start a stage (more correctly, a match) cocked-and-locked or in double action condition.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TMats,

Thanks for the additional information. Work, watching my kid play HS sports and family issues have limited my cyber time.
Every day is an adventure in eldercare.

I shoot the EAA better than the Ruger, but the safety mounted high on the slide slows me down. I participated in a classification match and earned Marksman SSP with the Ruger.

I hope to shoot in some sanctioned matches this summer.

That XD-45 is high on my want list.
Just what I need, anothe addiction....

Thanks again for the input!

Mule

·
Registered
7 Posts
Look at the M&P line also. They are coming on extremely strong in IDPA. Not available yet (soon) but the M&P 9 Pro looks great. It already has the correct sights and a trigger job along with a 5" barrel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts