Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :)
I am 19 years old and due to the recent stack of violent crimes in my area and my very outgoing nature my mom wants to get me a carry around gun for Christmas... I own several hunting rifles and have a good amount of handgun shooting experience as most of my family are avid gun enthusiasts including 2 soldiers currently in Iraq, a police officer who is swat trained and also currently in Iraq training troops for urban combat in a jump camp, and the rest of us are southerners who have been raised with a rifle...
Ive read several other posts on this site asking for first gun opinions, and just to clarify i dont need caliber clarification as i am quite content with the medium variety (ie 9mm, 38., 40., perhaps even 45 if i fall in love with the gun), my question lies more within the bang for your buck category... I need to know what of the more affordable company's (like skyy, KT, walther, etc.) mid range calibur model pistols will hold up to a rigorous firing regiment... This means easily 100-150+ rounds a week as my mountainous area allows for much backwoods shooting practice and i want to be very familiar with a lethal weapon that will be in my possession in public places... Any experienced input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thx for your time :) - tj

·
Registered
640 Posts
First you need to know the legal requirements of your state. If I recall correctly from the reciprocity requirements, in NC one needs to be at least 21 years of age to obtain a carry permit. If that is still true, you need to wait a while yet. Carrying one property one owns is generally exempt as is carrying on public lands open to hunting during a hunting season.
As for the longevity of "low end" guns, this is certainly not one of their strong suits. I can only speak of Kel-Tek of which I have two. They are pretty dependable but I would not expect them to last under moderate to heavy use. I had a bit over 1500 rounds through the one before I had some cracking issues in the frame. Kel-Tech did repair it in a quick manner but I do not shoot either as much as I used to. Walther is not in the same league as the others you mention as they are of much higher quality. Other brands I would look at are Ruger, SIG, S&W, Glock, Beretta, and many others in that price range. These can also be found used as police returns which are often very good values.
Best means of defense though is an awareness of one's surroundings, avoiding people that could be problematic, and staying out of places that could be trouble. Anyplace can be the scene of crime but some places attract those problems more than others as do people. Reducing, if not eliminating, your time spent in those areas will do more for yur personal safety than any defensive weapon.

G

·
Best means of defense though is an awareness of one's surroundings, avoiding people that could be problematic, and staying out of places that could be trouble. Anyplace can be the scene of crime but some places attract those problems more than others as do people. Reducing, if not eliminating, your time spent in those areas will do more for yur personal safety than any defensive weapon.

Wow... these are good words... and true I would say.

The young fellow has other problems too... I think he better get a 22. If he needs to be careful about the cost of a handgun, but he wants to shoot a couple of hundred rounds a week, he is going to run into a lot of cost firing a bigger round than the 22s. Probably going to need two guns... a 22 for practicing with, and another to actually help with protection maybe? Or get a dog... or some good friends.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
In direct response to your question, I can recomend a Glock 19. It is a mid size 9mm and used it should run about 325-375. The Glock will handle all the ammo you can throw at it. As far as legal and ethical, I will leave that up to you.
I hope this helps, :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.