Pistol World Forums banner

Inaccurate vietnam era 1911's?

13K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  sabbathmusic 
I've been on several pistol teams, worked initially as a small arms repairman and wound up my career as a Match Grade armorer. When your cousin says he couldn't hold 18" at 25yd, I'm sure he was telling the truth. I can assure you though that the pistol was easily capable of 6" groups at that range, and I'm talking an 'arms room clunker', so long as it has been properly maintained and functions reliably. And that's the catch. Most unit armorers have no training ("hey you - you're the unit armorer now") and there are a lot of broken weapons in arms rooms. The .45 can have a loose ejector, plunger tube housing ready to fall off, broken extractor, cracked barrel bushing, full of sand, and still deliver a ton of stopping power right where it's needed. These little problems do affect the ability of a 1911 to deliver all its shots to the same tiny hole at 25yd, but any one of these or similar problems would result in a stoppage to just about any other pistol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.