Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy is wanting to trade me a S&W model SW9BE for an older shotgun I have. However I can't find any info on this pistol. Anyone know anything about this model or even heard of it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The SW9VE is the Sigma line from S&W the were a model that was made before the M&P, yes is 9mm they were also made in .40 caliber. They are good reliable pistols, Ive owned one now for several years and is my work gun. I think it would be a good trade for a shotgun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
deltatorres said:
The SW9VE is the Sigma line from S&W the were a model that was made before the M&P, yes is 9mm they were also made in .40 caliber. They are good reliable pistols, Ive owned one now for several years and is my work gun. I think it would be a good trade for a shotgun.

Since it doesn't have a safety how do you carry, do you have one chambered or leave it unchambered. The trigger seems to have to pull it quite a long ways to fire...I like the feel of the pistol but am cautious about not having a safety and a long trigger pull

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I think this gun is a pure POS. If I was S&W I would be embarrased to put out such a piece of crap. No safety, trigger pull is horrendously hard and 4 times longer than any other pistol. I wouldn't trust this piece of crap at the range much less to protect myself in a bad situation. I can't believe a gun company of any kind would have such a piece of crap as a gun. This is ridiculous. I hope I can sell it and get a decent pistol. Hell I wish I had traded my shotgun for that hi point now, I am totally sure it would have been infinitely better than this POS S&W. I just hope I can find one other fool out there willing to take it off my hands so I can get a Springfield or Glock without losing too much $$$ on this mistake.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm sorry that you feel that way but the sigma is a great gun in my opinion and yes when I carry it it has a full mag + 1 in the chamber, it is completly reliable and I have even competed on a pistol competition with it and scored a99.2% finishing second place and in the process beating all contestants that had clocks sigs and xdms. In the end its not the weapon that u have its the operator behind it. By the way the Glock only has a trigger safety and the springfield has the backstrap safety and requires proper grip to put it in battery and in my line of work i dont need that in a high stress situation. How many times have you fired it at the range? I would defend my life and my family's with my sidearm with no hesitation because I know it will work reliably every single time.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
No safety needed, same as Glock, XD, and M&P.

Right now you can buy a sigma, brand new from bud's gun shop dot com for $299.00 delivered.

There is a choice of either a $50.00 rebate or two additional high cap mags.

9mm or .40 cal pistols available.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry, but the Sigma is not a POS (imo) and I own and shoot one.

I bought a S&W Sigma in .40 cal - (the 9mm looks the same and costs the same).

It has a long hard trigger pull - like a double action only revolver.

It shoots well and is reliable as a tank.

If your on a budget this is the best buy around for a new gun.

My son bought one last week at a Fort Worth gun show for $275 with a $50 rebate from S&W = $225. for a nice looking gun.

I'd suggest a 9mm for a beginner, ammo is cheaper and the felt recoil is less too. As I said the 9mm costs the same as the .40 mm.

Don't forget to look at used guns too - gun shows are a good place to shop.

If you feel too new to auto's to buy used, snag a friend who knows guns and take him or her with you.

Good luck with your search.

:)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I read the article mentioned above and couldn't believe such bull manure was actually published.

". . . the gun found favor in the law enforcement" Yeah, because they had dealing with S&W for so many years they bought into the hype. What the author didn't tell you that within about 3 months time all the law enforcement agencies sent them back. They were totally unreliable.

"Smith & Wesson brought out the Sigma and today--after a few changes here and there--it is still a popular gun with law enforcement both here and abroad." Pure crap. They reworked the gun and couldn't give them away. Our state police used them for one month. Then went with Rugers.

". . . a person buying this gun is probably looking for firepower and dependability. And in those categories the Sigma has certainly stayed the course of the last 13 years." Man how much did they pay him to say that? He makes it sound like the Sigma was a great success from the start, but it was really a dismal failure. Plus there were the lawsuits dealing with the parts that were copied from the Glock. (Makes you wonder how Ruger got away with the LCP . . . ? )

To be fair, I'm sure S&W has fixed all of the major problems with this gun or they would be facing law suits all day long. However, that is why the gun is dirt cheap. They are hoping people with short memories, or those just getting into handguns don't know the gun's history.

The author was right about the grip angle. S&W made a big to do over all the research and computer time that went into designing the grip. They discovered the best grip angle was the same as what John Moses Browning put on the 1911 without all the computers and what all. The Sigma feels really great in your hand.

But like you pointed out, the trigger is still a problem with most shooters. Most Sigma owners either just get used to it, or are new to handguns and just don't know any better. Somehow S&W must sell enough of them to keep them in their line up, but they keep making special deals like free magazines and $50 off to keep them going.

S&W is coming out with a "NEW" line of inexpensive self-defense pistols.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Sm ... 0Final.pdf
Take a good look at them. Sure looks like a Sigma! Marketing the same old junk under a new name hoping they will sell.

Sorry you got burned. Maybe one of these folks who like them so much will buy it from you. For a good, inexpensive handgun try the Ruger P series or the SR9. Better yet, get a used revolver. S&W rules when it comes to wheelguns.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts