Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,A friend gave me this pistol he fount in his grandfathers basement when he was cleaning it out.I have looked at hundreds of pics and read much info but can not find this exact pistol.Its is common in some ways of make but others not and numbers match.
On top it says ij champion 22 trarget single action for long rifle ctgs.on the side of the barrel says- Iver Johnson & cycle works Fitchburg,Mass. USA. Iits the 6in blue barrel.
The sight at the hammer that swivels has a square grip on its sides not round and the trigger is fat not skinney like all the others ive seen(reminds me of clip using pistols).The hammer doesnt have and safety piece down in front of the hammer that protects the firing pin.The hammer has a flat long section to strike the pin.plus it uses the coil spring instead of the leaf for the hammer (that makes me think its newer but everything else points to it being an older pistol).The grip frame is made correct to accept the coil spring parts.
Was this military? or a demo for ones to come ?Custom?
There is also a symbol near the barrels swivel on left side.
There are no markings under the barrel when you remove the cylinder as others have.
Any info is appreciated .
Thank You.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Sorry to not have answered earlier, I don't visit this site as much as I used to. I hope you are still looking for info.

What your friend has is an Iver Johnson Champion Target pistol. They were made from 1939-1941 and again in 1946 and 1947. Approximately 3700 were made so they are not common. Unfortunately, they are also Iver Johnson pistols which don't make them overly valuable either. It is a single action hinge action gun which was unusual for IJ as those produced prior were double action. It is also strong enough that one can use 22 LR High Velocity ammo in it without fear of damaging the gun. Many other IJ guns of this era were not so fortunate and one needs to use standard velocity 22 LR ammo in them to prevent damage.

It has a frame mounted firing pin which is why it is flat. It also does not have the "hammer the hammer" hammer block safety of many earlier guns. The trigger is wider than usual as that was a common feature of target guns.

I don't know of any official military purchases of these guns, my source makes no mention of it. It is not a custom gun as it was a regular catalog item. In 1942 MSRP was $30.

I don't have much else for info on this gun, IJ is not much of a collectable at this time so there is very little to go on. I have an Armsworth which is basically the same gun made in the mid-1950s. They are nice guns and were of very high quality and accuracy for the day.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts