Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably going to sound crazy but I just bought the sig mosquito a few days ago. I have never owned a pistol before and to be honest Ive never even shot one. I bought it because my husband is out of town alot and since he's going to be gone awhile this go around I figured it was time to buy myself something just in case. So that being said it's sittin in the box just waiting for me to...? Do what exactly? Take it apart clean it first? What kind of ammo should I use I saw another post saying to use mini mags? I bought 22 long rifles will these not work? I was really intimidated by the guy at the store who sold it to me he couldn't keep his eyes off my chest and treated me horribly so I literally bought the gun and left so any help on what to do or what not to do is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Pumpkin,

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the guy at the gun shop. In general, people at gun shops are friendly, knowledgeable people that take every opportunity to make first time buyers feel safe and welcome them into the usually very friendly community of gun owners.

Now, on to your Sig! I personally love Sig products, and own a p229 myself in 9mm (it looks and feels a lot like your mosquito, only slightly larger). They are known for their reliability ,durability, and great ergonomics.

The Mosquito's got a reputation for being very picky about ammo. Regular ammo will work, but a common problem is FTE (failure to eject) causing jams and stovepiping (when the first round is still in the chamber and it's trying to cycle the second round in).

From what I've read and heard, the CCI mini-mags are a powerful enough load to make the slide cycle properly and reliably. When Mosquitos have been sent back to Sig with "problems", Sig will test fire it with Mini-mags, and if it works fine, it will get sent right back, so it's what they use in them too.

So, you might as well go through your ammo that you bought, don't freak out if it jams, just be safe when clearing it, it's actually good practice to know what to do...but it might not jam at all, in which case, you're all set. I would recommend however, to go ahead and pick up the mini-mags, get some practice with them, and keep them loaded...because if god-forbid you ever actually have to use it for self defense, you want it to function properly without having to think about jams.

Additionally, you should take it apart and clean it first before firing it, as the factory puts all sorts of extra lube on/in it in case it sits around a shop for a long time. It may also be a good idea to get a lesson or two from an instructor, just to get you going at the range so you're comfortable with it.

Sorry if that was long-winded, I hope this helps. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.