Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone
i just got into reloading after i bought a lee loader in 38spl
i made a dummy cartridge and seated the bullet at same depth as the factory loads, its just a hair higher than the factory loads. is this ok? i dont want to get fancy now, just want to keep it simple. wasnt sure if this would create an unsafe round?

chuck

·
Registered
149 Posts
buy a reloading data manual if you dont have one.

doing things blind in reloading is a great way of damaging your gun, yourself or other INNOCENT bystanders next to you.

the LOA is one of the variables that you can tweak. But you should know what the max is and the only way is by a reloading data manual.

If you load too short or short, you may end up with a higher pressure round. some guns dont take kindly to them.

another check is using the gun/chamber the round will be used in. Some guns may have short chambers or other things that may affect how long/short you seat your rounds.

You can try and use the factory as your comparison, but do you know if the bullets are the same weight/dimensions/style? Also, you have no idea on what powder the mfg used. there maybe enough space between the powder and bullet to not create a compressed load or it maybe a compressed load.

one last note. you should buy one of the kinetic bullet pullers since eventually, you will need one. everyone does.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Get a reloading scale and caliper as well. These along with the press and dies (or Lee loader in this case) and a manual / data are required if you value your life. Everything else is just for convenience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts