Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am just starting to get into shooting and would like to buy a pistol, both for protection and for target shooting on the range. I've fired a few different pistols at a local range. i really liked the model 1911 45.cal but would like to hear some other opinions on the different brands for shoot ability and comfort. Kimber is the only brand Ive actually gotten my hands on. any oppinions help. thanks, robbie

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, you got off to a great start...actually shooting different guns.

The 1911 is an icon of handguns; just celebrated 100 years last month.

I carry a Kimber Pro (4") and find it a great handgun for carrying.

It cost a little more to shoot .45 ACP than .38 Specials and 9MM Lugers but I find it worth the cost.

I also shoot .38's and 9mm as well as .357's......

Enjoy the hunt for the one you want!!

Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info. Ive actually been back to the range a few times since i posted that and have found new intrest in the 38. special. A few friends of mine have advised me to get a 357 if i want a 38. so that i can fire both 38. and 357. rounds.... more variety. but i also learned in the range that i do not like the snub nose air weight 38.special. wants to twist back, leading to bad accuracy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
try before you buy.

also, look at ammo prices. if the 45acp ammo price doesnt make a dif for you then dont worry about ammo prices.

look and handle and try as many as you can. you will get more from handling/trying then from OPO. everyone has the fav.

also, if youre going to use it for HD/SD and if youre going to buy an autoloader, be prepared to spend some time training on how to clear jambs.

the gun will be out there just spend more time trying.

·
Registered
50 Posts
robbie1990 said:
thanks for the info. Ive actually been back to the range a few times since i posted that and have found new intrest in the 38. special. A few friends of mine have advised me to get a 357 if i want a 38. so that i can fire both 38. and 357. rounds.... more variety. but i also learned in the range that i do not like the snub nose air weight 38.special. wants to twist back, leading to bad accuracy.
As a long time instructor I can tell you there is nothing wrong with a revolver, especially for someone who is just getting into handguns. The .38 special is a great all around caliber and can be found in all sizes of revolver. I agree with the idea of buying a .357 and shooting .38's, but additional cleaning is necessary. I don't believe most of the little snub-nosed .357's are good .357's because of the terrible recoil, but they are great .38's. There are several good mid-sized .357's from Ruger and S&W. Don't let anyone tell you that you should only buy a semi-auto. Look around, shoot as many as you can of all types and calibers and then pick the one you "shoot" the best, not the one that is most popular.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts