Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first handgun as a teen in early 1950s, a S & W K22 Masterpiece, 6" bbl. This predated Smith calling it the Mod 17. Today it is in 9+ condition. I cannot find a value source calling it anything but a Mod 17. Any opinions of value out there tho' I'm not really interested in giving it up?

Also have a Colt Woodsman, 2nd Ed, 4-1/2" bbl from same time period. These seem to be more common, however.

·
Registered
640 Posts
In the "Blue Book of Gun Values" series, you will find this particular model listed under the heading "Early Hand Ejectors (Named Models)". This section should be found immediately preceding the the "Numbered Model Revolvers (Modern Hand Ejectors)" where the Mod 17 info will be found. My issue of this catalog is the 26th Edition which is a few years out of date but the estimated values back in 2005 had this model going between $285 and $485 in 90%-100% respectively. Today's prices would probably have the gun more in the $350 range as a guess.
Ned Schwing lumps the numbered and non-numbered models together but adds qualifiers regarding prices. A 5 screw model (it has five visible screws on the frame, not counting the grip) is valued by him at 40%-50% more, a 4 screw model increases value by 30% and those models with flat latches add 20%.
Values in this book, "2005 Standard Catalog of Firearms", has prices ranging from $225 for "Very Good" through $275 for "Excellent" to $350 for NIB.

The "Blue Book" has the Colt at $395-$895 for 90%-100% while Schwing has it listed at $350 for VG to $850 for Excellent.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.