Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just signed into this forum and am quite new to guns in general. I've been trying to learn as much as I can and have been looking into all different times of companies and models. As far as I can tell Kimbers look to be great guns, but I have never shot one so I don't have a real opinion. I've been told that they are great for looking at...but how are they for shooting and handling? Hope you guys can help. Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
IMHO out of the box one of the most reliable and accurate of them all.
They come with most of the bells and whistles already installed so very little left to spend money on after purchase other than a few cosmetic items to "personalize " your gun.

Nearly all companies are making their version of the 1911 now and this one still ranks in the tops. They had some QC problems for a while, but those have been fixed and I know of no one having difficulties with them now.

They are pricey as hell, but then most guns are now days.

UF

·
Registered
175 Posts
WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!!!

Kimber is right up there with having a 1911 customized but without the price tag, even then they can be quite pricey. Smooth and accurate.

HWD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a bunch guys, but how long lasting are they because I've also been told that they aren't really the type of gun to put a lot of rounds through, that and with all their moving parts they have a tendency to have more problems down the road. I just heard that from a cop the other day so I'm just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You won't go wrong by choosing a Kimber. Good, solid, reputable, and dependable. I'm trying to think of some more adjectives without sounding like a Kimber advertisement...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Xcaliber;;

Your post is almost comical.

Its not the response but from whom the response. "you heard it from a cop'

Hopw would a cop know anything about a gun or the longevity or long-term use of same.

PLEASE, I am not being facetious nor am I knocking law enforcement. But here is the skinny. I train a lot of them and have trained and worked with them for over 40 years and the one thing that stands out is they are issued a firearm and it rides comfortable on their hip until retirement. Their actual use by the individual is seldom, or only when forced to fire for their annual or semi annual quals. Other than those times, the majority of cops do not use or practice with their handguns. Now that is not to say ALL, only the majority. Most do not even know what model of gun they are carrying at any given time.
That's why police turn in guns are usually a very good bargain. The only wear they have is holster so mechanically they are usually mint.

Now for the Kimber, again this is my opinion but I will base it upon witnessing the actual use and/or abuse of the guns that are in my rental counter at the indoor range.
These guns are rented and used by everyone who comes in the store wanting to try one of the Kimbers many of them for the first time. Some of these people have absolutely no experience with guns at all prior to comming through the door. So we send an instructor/ range officer out with them. But the point is that all of these guns are used by people at every level of experience and ability. So they have far more propensity to fail for any number of reasons if they would normally do so for ANY reason in the first place.

So here is my take from the point of view of a firearm instructor, dealer, LE trainer officer, and range owner, operator.

They are certainly among the top three of all the 1911 type firearms and out of the box, are probably first in every category including longevity under extreme use.
Because mine are rented and used in-house they shoot pretty much the same factory, ball ammo 230 gr FMJ all the time. So from the ammo standpoint they are not babied either. For what its worth the 1911 style of firearm must be good as well as popular, look at the numbers of manufacturers that are now making their own version of 1911. That alone should speak to you of the value of the 1911 handguns.

My current three frame models and sizes in the rental counter have between 45K and 80 thousand rounds through them. We have had to replace the mags and a couple of springs and one firing pin in that time but there have been no other problems and none of the ones listed are something every owner could change on their own without the aid of a gunsmith.

How many out there will EVER shoot 45,000 rounds through any gun you own?
Not many. You would all clean and care for your gun(s) after every use. These guns go for days sometimes between cleaning and lubing.

You get the picture.

It is very difficult to fault the Kimber firearms. Yes, they did have some issues for a while, but those have been fixed and in fact were addressed very quickly as soon as they became apparent.

So I do not hesitate to refer them to anyone. I do tell people they should have a modicum of experience before buying or owning a 1911, any 1911 or have access to a good, knowledgeable instructor and then be willing to shoot it a lot and to spend a lot of time with it to become VERY familiar as quickly as possible. And then to plan to put even more time into practicing and working with it.

If not, then probably one of the idiot proof guns would be better for any number of reasons, safety primary among the list..

If you have a shop, range etc close by that allows you to rent or use guns, please spend some time doing so before you choose any gun for your personal use. It is the best time and experience that you may ever invest. Handguns in particular are so personal. The fit of any gun to an individual is probably the most important facet of choosing and then using the gun ever after.

If you buy it and for any reason do not like it, it will very quickly be holding down a spot in your closet or safe untouched. Especially with guns. If they are not fun, we will NOT use them. And again, with handguns in particular if you don't use them, they are worse than algebra, you will very quickly loose any accuracy you have ever built up.

So try em before you buyem if at all possible. If not, find a store or friend(s) who will at least let you handle theirs to see how they fit your hand.

Hope this will enlighten you or at least provide some basic background.

UF

·
Registered
175 Posts
Unclefudd,

Your above comments remind me of watching the show"COPS". I don't know how many times I've wanted to reach into the TV screen and take a handgun away from a cop that's trying to either unload it or check to see if it's loaded. They aren't that much better with a long gun either!

Recently,my next door neighbor called the police about a '**** that was in their backyard and acting kinda funny. The police officer came, observed the behavior, radioed into headquarters and told them he would be "dispatching" the animal in question. I stood back to watch, figuring he'd have to either get closer or shoot multiple times before even hitting it. One shot later, we were putting the **** in a trash bag so he could get rid of the remains. He head shot it from 10yds in bad light. Maybe our cops practice a little more than normal. I do need to say that I was impressed.

It may be that most of our police officers are just a bunch of ******* good ole boys too!

HWD

·
Registered
606 Posts
HWD -

The best handgunner I know is a cop (but he's an old guy like me; that may be meaningful).... and the WORST handgunner I've ever seen is also cop (who is, by comparison, quite young). He's so bad I'm amazed he ever passes qualification. Maybe it's like the guy in basic training who couldn't shoot; the DI had him at the range until he passed by sheer chance.

The bottom line is that most (but not all) LEOs are not "gun guys", and their training does nothing to turn them into "gun guys". That's why most departments issue a DAO autoloader with a high-capacity magazine, and why you read about near point-blank shootouts where multiple cops fire off a boxcar load of ammo and the bad guy suffers one non-lethal wound.

G

·
Just to add,

If you do go Kimber, buy from a stocking dealer. Otherwise don't be too anxious to taker home. It could be months. Just something to keep in mind.

Cheers

·
Registered
175 Posts
Huntswithdogs;

It is really sad that the departments don't do more for training for thier people and not just firearm training.
I see a lot of problems in the smaller depts that I work with around the country and it is not the fault of the officers as opposed to the leaders (chief) etc.
You would not believe how often the "training instructor" is assigned because a particular person is on administrative or light duty or they assign the guy or gal with the most seniority as the instructor for the dept.

They have in many cases little or no background for training it is just how they come around and what are the needs of that dept at the time.

I have been fortunate to provide what I believe has been some excellent training when I get the chance and most of the time when I help the "training officer" they are extremely thankful for my input. Several times they have gone to the chief and asked for my help. But it is bad because as all of you can see the bad guys are becomming more and more agressive and shooting cops which is something that in my days was just not done.
Now it is almost commonplace to read or hear about another officer being shot down.

One would think training would be the highest priority for every police or LE agency in the country sadly it is not.

My hat is off to those officers who take the extra time and often their own money to seek out training on their own. And believe me I can tell the difference when I meet them.
I have been involved many times with Thunder Ranch or Gunsite or Louie Awerbucks classes and have met officers from around the country and some from the largest police depts in the USA who are their on their own dime for the training.

These are the people you will see doing much better than the others and you can see it in their walk and the way they present themselves.

More to come I have to go to bed now. This old man don't stay up late.

Good luck and God Bless ALL

UncleFudd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts