PistolWorld.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any exp. with the Lee 3/4 hole turret presses? I was looking for a way to load .45 colt, 44 mag, and 454 faster and thought I would try one. It seems to be pretty well built...for a Lee. Thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got the 3 hole deluxe turret press kit and it's been perfectly reliable, and very easy to use. I couldn't be happier with it and compared to other units costing more than twice as much, I just don't see how there can be a 200% improvement in performance to justify the 200% price increase the others charge!

I reload 40 S&W on mine, and will use ot for other calibers when I get some more guns!

"I was looking for a way to load .45 colt, 44 mag, and 454 faster and thought I would try one."

What are you loading with now? How much time you save depends on what you were loading with to start with. Also, You'll want the 4-hole turret, so you can perform all the functions without changing dies. (1: de-prime, resize 2: prime 3: charge case and flare mouth 4: seat bullet and crimp) However, if you get the Lee- Auto prime, or some other similar hand-priming tool, then you only need the 3-hole turret. You can also buy extra shell plates (they're cheap, like $10) so you can leave each caliber set up to run. Just drop in the plate for the caliber you want to load and go!

I find that the most tedious stage was priming with the turret press. You had to manually place each primer in there just right, then load the case, etc... it was a royal pain the butt and took the most time of all stages for me. Then , I got an auto prime ($13, and remember, you also have to buy the auto-prime shellholders... the normal shell holders won't work. But, they're again only a couple bucks each, or like $14 for all of them in a nice box) and I can prime 100 cases in a couple minutes.

I would highly recommend the Lee Turret presses for all of your moderate quantity reloading tasks. I load about 600 rounds a week, and it takes me about 3-3.5 hours, depending on how many different powders and bullets I want to use.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MM - thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and bought it. I got the 3 hole...and now I'm thinking that I should have gotten the 4. The conversion kit is cheap though so... I like the idea of using that seperate crimp die. So far, I'm very pleased. I've worked up a couple of loads for the 44 mag and 45 Colt. Very easy to use and set up.

I've been loading using the Lee "whack it with a mallet" kits. It's soooo slow.

On a different topic - I take it you play bass. I have a Fender Precision natural finish from 1976. I used to play a lot but I haven't much in the past 15 years. The kids have taken over for me. :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 4 hole turret. if your buying new go for the new classic turret its much better quality.

I have loaded couple thousand of 9mm and 40sw on my 4 hole.
I am getting tired of pulling the handle for every operation for 1 cartridge but it sure beats single stage or whacking a hammer around.

I do all my sizing and depriming on single stage though then tumble then inspect and clean back to storage or to the 4 hole for manufacturing.

I bell and charge then use 2 seating dies 1 gives initial seat LONG(to get bullet seated centered which can be trouble sometimes with 9mm) then finish seat to final OAL adjusted to give slight taper and I do use a FCD for final stage but thats more for Quality controll. most my cartridges fit right through the FCD with minimum engagement but occasional is an oddball cartridge that needs some post sizing.

replacement part is square piece that is inside the plastic drum that engages the index and turns the turret on downstroke. they can wear. I have a worn one that stopped turning turret for while but I have since loaded good 1,000 since and its still working but occasionally it may skip a beat. keep the turret lubed and the index.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts