Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 3" SP-101 a couple weeks ago. I was shooting it today and getting light primer strikes when fired upward (good backstop, perfectly safe). I wasn't firing anywhere near straight up, around 45* upward angle. Light strikes on all 5 shots, all fired fine shooting level or downward.

Stripped it when I got home, everything looked OK (I guess). The only thing is that it looks like the mainspring may have been cut off to lighten pull. I counted 14 coils, don't know what factory is.

I've worried about the firing pin protrusion since I bought it (probably should have passed on it, price was right).

Any ideas what I could do? Return it to Ruger (shipping would be almost what I paid for it)? Could a local 'smith get the parts to fix it?

I'd hate to get rid of it, shoots where I point it. I can't trust it now, want to get it fixed.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Wolff Gun Springs..... they'll have an assortment of various power levels to choose from. Pick one just slightly lighter than stock and you'll be in business. Changing the mainspring in an SP-101 is about a 2 minute job.... and they're dirt cheap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.