Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across one of these little 1911 type pistols in a pawn shop today and it caught my interest. It is the model with the vent rib so I know it is a one of the newer especial, I think around late 60's or early 70's from what I read. Felt good in the hand and for its age didn' rattle and seemed in good shape. The only potential problem I saw was that the rear sight was loose. There was a screw in the side of the rear sight which I'm not sure if that was for locking the sight down or for windage adjustment but the sight may be an easy fix. They're asking 299.00 for it which I believe is high but I've dealt with this store before and they will usually haggle down pretty well. Seems like this could be a fun pistol to take and restore and play with but I am concerned with the age and parts availabilty should something go wrong. I researched a bit and most of what I found about the .380's was positive, the .45's kinda hit or miss. I'm not sure I want to buy a gun I feel like I cant shoot because I'm afraid it might break and not be able to repair it. What do y'all think and how much would you pay for it?

·
Registered
149 Posts
google is your friend.

have you done any homework to determine if spare parts were available?

you already know what gun, all you need to do is to find some part or parts you think will fail.

only you can determine if its for you and your requirements.

would you pay $1.00 for it if it was broke already and no spare parts availble?

if you want to tinker with it, buy it as a project and go from there. dont put anymore into it then youre willing to loose. in the end it could be a paperweight.

·
Registered
585 Posts
This little pistol comes in two flavors: complete failures or smashing good guns. There's no way of knowing until you get a chance to fire it. The failures all involve feeding and extracting. My gun dealer swears by his and mine (sold 3 years ago) was the same; however, if you search on it, you'll find a lot of unhappy buyers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts