Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded a friend a savage 30-06 that I had for 15 years for a LLama Minimax 45. He had been borrowing the rifle for the past several years to hunt with and asked if I would trade for this pistol. It appears to be NIB with three ten round clips, all the paperwork and the test fire shell. I expect the rifle is worth about $250 so did I make a decent trade? I doubt I will keep the pistol as it's a little heavy for a sub compact and will trade it in on a compact XD, what should I expect to get when I trade it in?

·
Registered
147 Posts
The Savage 110 series in .30-06 is a very inexpensive rifle used and at that age - I would be surprised if you got $130 for it if you sold it to a shop. You are probably a little ahead with the Llama - Maybe $150-$190 sold to a shop.
If it were mine, I'd get a holster and keep it.
Llamas have a reputation for being unreliable, although the newer models were fine. BUT the company is out of business and parts can be a problem.
Also, the heavier weight makes it easier to shoot.

I'd keep it.

mark

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shot the pistol and had no issues, as I mentioned it's a bit heavy for a compact but considering what I could sell it/trade it for (less than $200) I'll keep it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Over the last week, I found a Llama .45 ACP pistol imported by Stoeger in a shop for $275. I have been reading some Llama owners comments at te 1911.org site, and most of them really like their pistols.
I mentioned that Llama had a bad rep, but neglected to add that much of that was not true. Thay can be very good, reliable shooters and many serve well as carry pistols.

Check the Llama forum in the manufacturers section of the 1911.org site: http://forum.m1911.org/index.php?

This is THE best site for info on these pistols, IMO.

mark

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dog,
Lots of good info. I noticed that many of the minimax posting mentioned a polymer frame. Mine is old school steel so a bit heavy. All the same most seem to like it and have experience with this pistol on that site. Mine shoots fine but not something I wouldn't carry due to the weight. I signed up for the site and will make a post with picture soon to see what the Llama guys think of the pistol. Your pricing seems about right. I had no idea you could buy a 45 for such a low price. I own three other 45's, a 1955 S&W (before it had a model number), a S&W M&P 45 and most recently a Kimber 45.

Again thankd for the information.

·
Registered
147 Posts
They are low priced bacause they have a bad rep, which is not deserved.
I own 2 1911's made in Manila by Armscor and imported here.
A lot of people look down on them.
I started shooting 1911's in about 1970, and these are the only ones I own and carry.
Draw your own conclusions.
A loaded .45 pistol makes a dandy nighttime house gun, and you can't beat the price.

Good luck.

mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own that same gun and bought it from a friend for $250 i always carryed a 1914 GI. Colt 1911 .This gun looks almost identical but is shorter and hides better now i carry it very reliable

1 - 7 of 7 Posts