Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been around guns my hole life but have never owned a pistol. I feel this is the time to start. I am looking for a gun to shoot targets and have around the house for home protection. Not to carry at this time. I like the 1911 45s and would like your input on these. I have a Kimber rifel and have looked at the Kimber 1911 and like them but $$$. I dont mind paying for quality just need more info on what is out there.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
If you like the 1911 design you might look at the Springfield 1911. They are not as nice looking as the Kimber but they are a very well built pistol. And the price is a lot less.

JMO

·
Registered
175 Posts
jwhuntman;

Welcome to the world of pistils/revolvers.
Do not get focused as yet on a particular brand or caliber before you have a chance to try a bunch. In the end, you will have more than one anyway and it will be wise to take your time to learn which are the best,"for you".
We all will be only to happy to tell you which we think are the best, "for us" but until you have handled and shot as many as possible, then wait to make selections and in the mean tme, keep an open mind.
As for the 1911s, they make great guns in several calibers and depending upon your wants and needs you will find some of the biggest names in the firearms industry now make their own models of 1911 which should by now be making a significant point that these are making a resurgence in popularity and for many good reasons not the least of which is they are still (proven) to make the fastest and most accurate first shots of any and all handguns on the market.
They are still the safest handgun to carry and use for any purpose and parts to personalize or customize are proliferate.
Look at the different calibers made in the 1911s by Springfield Armory, Kimber, Colt, Taurus, Dan Wesson, Sig Sauer just to name a few.

Having said that, their are also great deals and quality firearms in the "safe action" varieties such as the Glocks and SA-XDs S&W, H&K, SIG and many others.

First, if you have the opportunity go to a range that has a rental program and shoot as many as you can get your hands on before you begin to from opinions. If not, it will be a crap shoot with the results perhaps less than desired. Not kidding, take the time to go and shoot as m any as you possibly can and it will be time well spent.

I help dozens of people every week to make informed decisions about buying or not, firearms for nearly as m any reasons. My advice to them as to you is to shoot them fisrt and I have a tremendous number of guns in handguns rifles and shotguns as well as some full autos for them to try.
It has helped the other dealers in my area for their customers as well and all of our customers have less chance of winding up with something they do not like for any reason.

Hope this helps and if you have questions PM or email me and I will try to help.

Right now I am sure all of you know that ammo and firearms are very hard to get and the prices are reflective of the demand and short supply. I talk to other dealers all over the US and all of them are telling me the same thing. We are having trouble getting our hands on many of the top of the line firearms and the ammo supply is still spotty. Especially the self defense ammo.
Even components for reloading are hard to come by so get it when and while you can until the new guy shuts it off all together.

UF

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.