Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had some opinions for someone looking for their first pistol. I'm relatively new to shooting, been to the range once and fired a .38/.357 and a Glock 17. I was a pretty decent shot with both but preferred the recoil of the revolver to the semi-auto.

I'm looking for a decent, accurate, and powerful weapon for protection and future concealed carry.

I've primarily done research in the .40 caliber range, but I'm also open to .45 caliber.

Price isn't much of an option, because my life is worth any gun if it comes down to it.

I've been primarily looking at the Glock 23 and the SIG P229. Any other ideas? Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you're dead set on an autoloader, take a look at a 1911 and a Springfield XD before you take the plunge.

Also, put some consideration to a good wheelgun.... an old Smith & Wesson M19, with the pinned barrel & counterbored cylinder, and target trigger & hammer is about as sweet as a revolver could ever be.

If your primary reason is concealed carry, take a look at a Ruger SP-101, though the S&W M19 can be had with a round butt and a 2" barrel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.

I was just down at the Gun Store and held a lot of different semi-auto's, as well as the Springfield XD you mentioned. The downside to the XD was the only one they had was used for $430. I wasn't too set on buying a used weapon. Some of them were heavier than the others, and I didn't like the grip of some of the sub-combats. I don't feel confident with only two fingers on the grip of a gun with such powerful recoil.

I almost settled for a nice 9mm SW9VE w/ the stainless slide for $399+$50 rebate, but I remember reading somewhere that my life was important than the looks or cheap price of any gun. So I opted with the more powerful and expensive Glock 23 for $500. Can't go wrong the gun that's issued to FBI agents.

I'm on my three-day waiting period now so I'll be picking it up Wednesday/Thursday.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Re: re: Looking for my first gun

Tough to go wrong with a Glock 8)

J18369 said:
I'm on my three-day waiting period now
Now that just down right sucks :evil:

Where you at? Makes me glad I'm in PA .... Usually takes about 20 minutes from the time I say I'll take till the time I'm walking out the door with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Captn66 said:
Tough to go wrong with a Glock 8)

J18369 said:
I'm on my three-day waiting period now
Now that just down right sucks :evil:

Where you at? Makes me glad I'm in PA .... Usually takes about 20 minutes from the time I say I'll take till the time I'm walking out the door with it.
Oh man.. a Steelers fan :)

I'm in Florida (long time Cowboys fan though). For some reason we have a 3-Day wait unless you have a CCW permit. They don't even do the background check until after the 3-Day wait. Some kind of 'cool-down' period. I don't really understand it too well.

Gives me some time to research holsters and such and how to actually get my permit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I consider you BOTH lucky. I believe here in MD its 10 days. But I can't buy my first pistol for another 6 months, when I turn 21. Which is stupid as shit, if I may be so frank, lol.

I can easily hurt as many people with my mossberg 500a loaded with either 00BK or slugs than I could with a pistol. Probably more.

Ah, I love the govt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

aliasneo07 said:
I consider you BOTH lucky. I believe here in MD its 10 days. But I can't buy my first pistol for another 6 months, when I turn 21. Which is stupid as poop, if I may be so frank, lol.

I can easily hurt as many people with my mossberg 500a loaded with either 00BK or slugs than I could with a pistol. Probably more.

Ah, I love the govt.
I hear you. I pretty much just turned 21 back in May.

I just ordered some ammo for the G23 off ammunitiontogo.com. I picked up a box of 50 Federal HST 180 gr. Hollow Points that Law Enforcement uses. I just got an e-mail basically saying "Due to the current 'political situation', it may take a bit longer for your order to get there".

My next gun is probably going to be either a Russian AK-47 or SKS. Awesome and reliable guns.

·
Registered
160 Posts

J18369 said:
Oh man.. a Steelers fan :)

I'm in Florida (long time Cowboys fan though).
Should be a good game today. We'll see how 'the boys' handle the weather though. Temp at kickoff is supposed to be around 23 degrees with a windchill at around 3 :twisted: 8)

·
Registered
33 Posts
J18369 said:
I was wondering if anyone had some opinions for someone looking for their first pistol. I'm relatively new to shooting, been to the range once and fired a .38/.357 and a Glock 17. I was a pretty decent shot with both but preferred the recoil of the revolver to the semi-auto.

I'm looking for a decent, accurate, and powerful weapon for protection and future concealed carry.

I've primarily done research in the .40 caliber range, but I'm also open to .45 caliber.

Price isn't much of an option, because my life is worth any gun if it comes down to it.

I've been primarily looking at the Glock 23 and the SIG P229. Any other ideas? Any thoughts?

Thanks
The suggestion of the M19 is an excellent choice for a new handgun owner. It is very accurate, reliable, powerful and simplicitic. In addition the fact that it chambers 38/357 makes it cheap to practice with.

If you don't have any experience with a semi-auto I wouldn't consider getting one for conceal carry until you do.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The best advice is find a local range that rents pistols. This way you get a real feel for not only how they feel when you hold them but how they feel when you shoot them. After you make your choice get some instruction and shoot often. Good luck and welcome to the sport of shooting.

My personal favorites are a S&W M&P 45 and 1911 Kimber 45.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

WDBradley said:
The best advice is find a local range that rents pistols. This way you get a real feel for not only how they feel when you hold them but how they feel when you shoot them. After you make your choice get some instruction and shoot often. Good luck and welcome to the sport of shooting.

My personal favorites are a S&W M&P 45 and 1911 Kimber 45.
I've already decided that my next is going to be either a 1911 Kimber or a Colt Single Action Army. My two all time favorite guns... well, besides my G23.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah my first pistol will likely be the G22 or G23. Let me know how the G23 shoots...the only .40 cal glock ive fired has been the G22 which was nice. Trigger pull on all the glocks Ive fired hasn't been wonderful, but then again, they aren't for bullseye competition. But reliability is my first priority.

Second gun will likely be a Sig Mosquito or a S&W Mod. 41....MAYBE a Ruger mkII... great guns to learn shooting on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts