Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy my first pistol. The purpose would be home defense. I am looking for something that is versitle, realible, and easy to care for like my Remington 870 12 guage. I have been looking at Colts and Smith and Wessons but I am open to all suggestions.

Also if possible something that is easy to find ammo for. My understanding since the current administration was voted in is that it can be hard to find.

I rather not pay over $500.00 and less would be better but I do want a quality gun and if it costs more so be it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
149 Posts
welcome.

when you say "pistol" are you saying you dont want a "revolver"? If you decide to go with a semi auto, you should realize that learning/practicing how to clear malfunctions is required eventho you may never have an issue. Revolvers are more idiot proof in that respect.

IAC, i would look for a local or not gun rental range in your area and do some test driving of the various firearms they offer. since you dont say anythign about caliber, im assuming, that you dont know what caliber you want. this may affect waht gun you are able to get too.

finding ammo is relative and is up to you. i dont know where you live so you should do some leg work and the next time youre in your local stores look at what ammo they have. you can also try calling too.

most firearms are fairly no nonsense and require minmal mainenance. however, THINK about what you are doing or not doing since this will be used to save your ass. Do you neglect your cars mainenance, like the breaks? well, its no different on the gun so some minimal mainenance is required.

Since you dont say you are open to USED guns, i will give my 0.03 here. There are some good used revolvers and guns out there. again, it depends on where you live and what you want. currently where i am, i see some S&W M10s and some of the M27s. I also see some used Glocks especially in the 9mm flavor. iirc, the S&Ws are < 500, but im thinking the used Glocks were close to the 500 mark.

i think you need to do some testing first. even go to your local gun shop and see what they have NIB for <500 and then see what they have for used too. finding something that fits your hand and is comfortable to you should be job 1. until then i dont see alot of reason to give you a list of guns to try since the first time you handle it, you will immediate know if you will like it or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Revolvers are also an option. I am real new to the world of firearms and I would like to get as much information as I can before I go to a gun shop.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sackett said:
Revolvers are also an option. I am real new to the world of firearms and I would like to get as much information as I can before I go to a gun shop.
there is nothing wrong with going to a gun shop as long as you are willing to walk away.

some gun shops are worth their weight in gold if they are willing to help. its usually a you scratch my back sit. They educate you and you buy from them. If they are any good, they would be willing to show you whats what and to answer your questions as best as they can considering the persons lack of knowledge.

if you can, look for some shooting instructors in your area and ask if they have any private or semi private instructions on guns and such. it doesnt have to take all day, but you can get info overload with all the different guns out there. It shoudlnt be necessary to do so, but to get an idea on the different platforms and types.

if you have any friends/relatives that shoot, hit them up aslo.

also, go to you local book store/magazine stand and get a couple gun rags wthere there are some gun reviews. you can get an idea on some of the terminilogy. if you have a local library, try there also. fyi, the libraries can order books from other libraries w/min fee and since if you pay taxes, you should use the services.

go to some gun shows in introduce yourself. some of the sellers are really helpful and if they have the time can inform you on some things.

·
Registered
8 Posts
revolver is probably the best bet for a HD gun. less-to-no chance for a malfunction, easy to care for and fewer pieces that'll wear out

a semi auto had a better chance of jamming and the magazine spring wearing out if left loaded but theyre biggest avantage is holding more rounds

but in either direction, $500 is probably going to limit you to the "used" counter and even then, something high quality with stopping power might be hard to find

IMO id look for a 357 revolver with a 4-6'' barrel, ruger will probably have something of good quality used in that price range. having a 357 means it'll take 38's too so you have a "cheap" practice ammo

·
Registered
240 Posts
If possible find a gun range that rents and shoot several. You didn't mention caliber and that is a big factor, while some ammo is harder to find if you stick with common ammo (.38, .357, 9mm, 40 S&W or 45 acp) you should be able to find it), shop around for the ammo and expect to pay more for the higher calibers. Depending on how often/how much you shoot this could be a factor. The other issue is your handgun expereince, if your new to handguns and want one for home defense a .38 or 9mm is a reasonable caliber.

Find a pistol that fits your hands well and then if possible pay for training and shoot often. A home defense firearm is only as good as the person holding it.

The two suggestions I have are the S&W M&P for semi auto and the Ruger LCR for revolver, for less money look at the Ruger P95. They fit me well but might not be for you. Get some time on the firing line if possible with any pistol you are looking at before you buy it. There are lots of options in the $500 range, do your homework.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to buy

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are so many good choices in the 400- 500 range
I am a nra instructor and concealed carry instructor here in nc
I really like a revolver for home defense
easy to use easy to care for
i personaly like the smith 4" 66 357
will shoo 38's 38+p's and the hot 357's
adjustable sights stanless steel
and with a goos set of rubber grips
its pretty much indestructible
i start most pistol students on a revolver
the go to the autos
the smoll revolvers ie lcr jframe smiths are hard to shoot well
also same for small autos keep with the mid size pistols
life will be much easier

·
Registered
169 Posts
Try to shoot as many handguns as you can get your hands on to get a feel for what you like.

If it is just for pleasure shooting, "plinking" or punching paper,or possibly hunting some rabbits and stuff, I suggest a revolver in .22LR. Not only will the weapon be fairly inexpensive but the ammo is super cheap.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I carry semi-autos. My home defense guns are all revolvers. In the dark after being rudely awakened, I want idiot-proof.

·
Registered
110 Posts
DITTO...
I carry a .40 S&W caliber SIG semiauto.
Bedside is a .357 S&W Model 19.
Definitely want a SIMPLE (point, pull trigger) gun when I am in a less-than-100% alert condition.
///olde 8) pharte///

·
Registered
45 Posts
Agreed with all previous posters...but one thing to consider...you may get one thing, and then become more comfortable with another as time goes on.

For example...I started with a mossberg 12g for home defense, and that's still my go to option given the right circumstances. My first "home defense" pistol was a 9mm beretta, and I've since moved on to an S&W 1911 in .45acp. My carry gun however, is a p229, in 9mm. It really depends what is most comfortable to YOU, in any situation. Actually, I'm moving more towards the 229 in home defense as well, due to the lack of safety. Point and shoot is generally the best for home defense.

Don't listen to me, or anyone else about what is "right." Buy lots of guns, and the one that is "right" in each circumstance will present itself.

Time will tell.

B

·
Registered
8 Posts
As everyone has said, find a rental range and try them out. But look close at the Glock 17 and 19. About the right price, 9mm is a could SD/HD round, especially if you're new to handguns, and Glocks are reliable as sunrise and easy to maintain as a rock. If it fits you, it's a great gun. The G19 is my favorite CC and second favorite HD behind my Ruger .45 ACP KP90. But the Glock is a great gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts