Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so you get to help the newbie out a little...

I am 20 year old male, soon to be 21 and getting my pistol permit.

5'11" and 170 lbs.

I am looking for a pistol for protection mainly. Something that i can carry and is not to big but big enough to easily handle. I live in New York so i need to be able to conceal the firearm easily

I want a .40

I was looking at the Glock 23 but am open to suggestions.

lets hear it?

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
A Glock 23 is a great pistol. They are not a pocket gun, they are designed to be carried in some sort of holster.
A more reliable gun has yet to be designed in my opinion.

Good luck. :)

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Plenty of good ones out there.

Glock 23 as previously mentioned, Sig Sauer 239, Springfield XD-40 compact, Smith & Wesson M&P 40 compact just to name a few.

·
Registered
606 Posts
pyroman said:
.......I am looking for a pistol for protection mainly. Something that i can carry and is not to big but big enough to easily handle. I live in New York so i need to be able to conceal the firearm easily.......
Had you considered a wheelgun? A Ruger SP-101 in .357 mag is concealable, reliable, simple, and powerful.

As is so often the advice on this forum.... if at all possible, try before you buy. All the reading about different pistols, and all the advice of others can't match shooting one for real.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Re: re: Looking to buy my first pistol need advice

pyroman said:
I figure a IWB or shoulder holster.

i was also looking at the glock 27... which one is better?
They are both excelant, however one is a sub compact (27) and thus might be harder for someone with little experience to shoot well. No insult intended, its just they dont feel as secure in your hand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea my friend has the 27 and i handled that but did not get to shoot it. with the extended grip it is not to bad but when its all said and done i minus well just stick with the 23 because the 27 is not that much smaller in the end...

i shoot rifles now but have only shot pistols on a few occasions.

as for a revolver vs semi auto.. i prefer semi auto pistols. i like the feel of them better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you checked into the line that SIG offers?? The P229 chambered in either 40 CAL or 357 SIG is great, with the purchase of an additional barrel you can own both!! Great guns!!

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Sig P229's are excellent pistols.

For a CCW, I personally prefer the Sig P239. It's smaller and more comfortable to wear all day than the 229.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.