Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Looking at adding a .45 to my collection.

A few years ago I picked up a new Springfield Armory 1911, but sold after a few outings. I found it tricky to tear down, tricky to shoot and it jammed a few times right out of the gate. Looking back, I think I feel victim to frustration (with a new gun).

I do not recall the model, but it was about $850.00 new, about three years ago.

So are these normal things that over time go away (most important to me, the jamming).
I think the ease and consistency of Sig I had at time jaded me a little.

What Springfield 1911 is the way to go for basic target shooting, should I just drop the cash and grab the trophy match? Or is this just over the top ….

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I love my Mil-Spec. Zero problems with it. But it is fairly basic, not a "match" gun. But on the flip side it is much less expensive, very reliable and fun!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I currently own and shoot a total of 4 Springfield Armory 1911 pistols.

1.) Trophy Match

2.) "Loaded" 1911 Stainless with black accents

3.) Range Officer

4.) Stainless Long Slide

The Range Officer and the Long Slide I just purchased. All are superb pistols. Springfield builds some of the finest 1911's out there. I also shoot a Kimber Stainless II, and a Colt Gold Cup Series 70 I purchased new way back in 1973. Whichever model Springfield you choose, you won't be disappointed in it's performance, or it's fit and finish. It is one of the few guns I own that gives me as much pleasure to look at, as it does to shoot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love my Springfield .45's but did need to make a change in the magazines for reliable operation. Have a Range Officer and a Loaded models. They are both excellent pistols with very good accuracy. I did replace the factory magazines with higher quality units. It seems that I needed stiffer magazine springs for reliable loading when only a couple of rounds were left in the magazine.

The Loaded is a very good looking pistol and the Range Officer has great functional appearance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have two Springfield 1911's that are good accurate pistols. One is the "Range Officer" and the other is the "Loaded". They both have adjustable sights and other features that make them good shooters. Think you would be satisfied with these or some of the other Springfield models, depending on how serious you are about the target shooting and if you are going to be competing with them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts