Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best friend and I just completed the CCW class in MI and he has already gotten his card. He is very interested in the Smith M&P 40 and I wonder what the feelings are on this gun.
We are both in the market for an auto and a caliber that allows us to shoot at the range somewhat economically but also is good for defense and those ocasions when we're in the U.P. hunting bears with our bow or fishing back in the bush. Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned a M&P40C for a while now. I love it. I have put everything from cheap Wolf ammo - Federal Hydra-Shok through it, it has never Failed to Fire. It feels great in the hand even for a compact and the chamber indicator is nice. I also like the fact that you do not have to pull the trigger to strip. I have heard many stories of Glock owners that "knew" it was empty and then end up with an AD. The icing on the cake for me was that it is a reliable American Made weapon.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a full size M&P 45 and it's my favorite shooter. With the ability to change the back strap this pistol fits anyone well. The M&P is the next gereration Glock. I was at my local range/gun shop and S&W now has a deal of $50 rebate or two extra mags making it an even sweeter deal. I ordered a M&P 9mm compact this week as a casual carry pistol. If I had the extra money I would buy one in 40 cal as well!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one, I love it. I did buy it back in 2007 and only had one major issue which was the mag catch was loose (factory issue) and it would drop mags left and right. The fix for me was buying a $3 part which replaces it. Put around 500 rounds threw it and that seams fixed it.

I recommend buying it new or if he wants used he needs to put rounds threw it to make sure that that issues is not present.

To the point,

Love the gun

·
Registered
24 Posts
I suppose that I forgot to mention that I shoot tighter groups at all distances with my M&P 40 than any other gun I own.

After a couple of months and over 400+ rounds I cannot find a single thing to nitpick about the M&P 40... Dare I say flawless?

OK, I said it. It is flawless. I used to believe that my Sig P220 or my Springfield 1911 where untouchable, but this gun is absolutely amazing!

* DAO trigger feels smooth right to the break without stacking
* 18 degree grip angle (same as pointing a finger)
* 3 grip back straps for just the right fit
* Stainless steel inner frame keeps this gun from feeling plastic
* Great Novak sights standard
* Through-hardened barrel... not just surface hardened
* Fully supported chamber
* 15 round mag (.40 cal)
* Ambidextrous Slide Stop and reversible mag release
* Made in America
* Etc...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up a new M&P .40 and have to say "I love it". Only about 300 rounds put down range but it's performed flawlessly so far.
After buying it, I learned that I can get and after market .357 Sig barrel as well as a 9mm barrel that will interchange with the .40 barrel. Thats a 3 for 1 pistol.
$77.99 for the .357 Sig. and $66.99 for the 9mm barrels at Midway USA, plus $30 each for the 9mm Magazines.
This is by far the best shooting pistol I own.

The ole' lady even likes shooting it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Re: re: M&P 40

gglass said:
How can you go wrong with the 2007 gun of the year.
Hmmmm . . . I seem to recall that the Sigma was also the "Gun of the Year" when it first came out, and it really turned out to be a dog. S&W couldn't give them away, and even today they are pretty slow sellers even though all the problems are supposed to be fixed.

However, it looks like S&W really have a true winner on their hands this time with the M&P lineup. I'd take the .45 over the .40 (bigger holes, more air in, more blood out, more shock to the system, etc.), but the .40 ain't too shabby.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts