Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inadvertently loaded .38 specials with magnum small pistol primers. They will be fired in S&W model 19 .357 and are loaded with the recommended starting load of 4.0grs. Unique powder and a 158gr. lead bullet. Is this going to be a safe load or must I pull the bullets?

·
Registered
11 Posts
What was the MAX listed load?

Michael Grace

·
Registered
112 Posts
The old #10 Speer book list 4.00 gr of Unique as a starting load. So your on the light side.
Personally I have used the magnum primers many times in place of the standard ones. I think you will probably won't notice any difference at all in shooting them.
However its your gun an hand and eyes so use yor own judgement. Personalyy I hate pulling bullets.
I have a friend that subs small rifle primers for small pistol primers. Don't think I will try
that until small pistol primers are impossible to get. Then who in the heck knows what we will be doing by that time.

"Old" Jack
P.S. The Max listed for unique is 4.7 grains

·
Registered
1 Posts
magnum small pistol

Dennys guns in NKC has primers for 45 per 1000. They had Large Pistol and Small Pistol Magnium. I have some extra Small Pistol Magnum Primers to trade for Small Rifle if anyone is interested.

Skip

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: magnum small pistol primers instead of small pistol prim

Looks like we're there "Old Jack", so whats the next move? I got a line on small rifle primers, so should I try them in 9mm Luger?

I am new to reloading, so appreciate the advice of those who have been doing this for a while.

·
Registered
640 Posts

DON"T use small rifle primers in place of small pistol for a few reasons.

First, small rifle primers use more or a different primer compound that small pistol primers which can raise pressures much higher than safe, especially in a small and higher pressure cartridge like a 9mm.

Second, rifle primers are harder than pistol primers as they often need to contain much higher pressures. One may experience misfires or failure to fire when using these in pistols.

Third, I believe rifle primers are deeper than pistol primers so there could be issues with priming. One could even experience slam fires due to the primer sticking out.

Those who are new to reloading should stick with the exact loads listed in manuals. One should also read the manual (actually I prefer more than one manual) as much of this is discussed in them. I really should know all the reasons but its been a while since I read those sections as I've known not to switch these around for decades.

·
Registered
19 Posts

rpveach said:
I inadvertently loaded .38 specials with magnum small pistol primers. They will be fired in S&W model 19 .357 and are loaded with the recommended starting load of 4.0grs. Unique powder and a 158gr. lead bullet. Is this going to be a safe load or must I pull the bullets?
I'm with claybird on this. I too have used magnum pistol in place of standard in light loads with no noticeable difference fired from my 686.
A S&W 19 is a stout firearm and was built to handle 357 rounds. The 38 loads you made even with mag primers will not be as strong as a 357 load.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts