Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a police supply by my house that has one. I'm 20 years old, and im interested in a gun for target shooting as well as self defense, besides that ive always been interested and fascinated by firearms.

Does anybody have experience with a makarov? What's your opinion on it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've sold a lot of them and seen guys do some nice custom work on them. Never known anyone to have a problem with one in all the years I have been selling them.

However, you will probably have to do some work on it to smooth it out. and there are IMHO many choices of much better firearms for both plinking and self defense than the Macs.
Look around and if you have a range in your area with a rental program, spend a bunch of time there trying as many different guns as you can before you lay your money down.

Firearms are very personal and lots of people will try to help you pick a good gun. But in the end it is what fits you and your specific needs that you must satisfy.
Many people have spent a lot of money following others advice only to find the gun they bought is not what they wanted or needed.

So take your time and enjoy your purchase knowing it is really the one that does all you want it to do.

Good luck

UF

·
Registered
297 Posts
I agree with UncleFudd. I have a East German Mak, and it is really a fine little pistol. It is very accurate due to its fixed barrel, and it has more umph than a .380, however, less than a 9mm Luger/Parabellum. About equal to a .38 Special. It has a sharp, snappy little muzzle flip, but it is not a heavy recoil.

You usually have to order your ammo. My local dealer has some, but it's a lot more expensive than getting it through the mail. Also, you can get some of the expensive hollow point stuff, but it was designed for FMJ, and if you want decent penetration, you might want to stick with the FMJ. It's a trade off with the lower power cartridges, expansion v. penetration. I kinda want the bullet to actually reach the vital organs.

OK, after saying all of that, I really like my Mak, but I have other guns I like a lot better. For a first gun I would suggest a .357/.38 revolver. The .38 ammo is pretty cheap to practice with, and the .357 is probably the best defensive round ever. I would suggest getting a good used S&W or Ruger.

However, I know young guys like automatics. Ruger semi-autos are inexpensive and well made. 9mm ammo is cheap, too. This is good, because I see a lot of guys at the range firing as fast as they can pull the trigger. A big waste of ammo. Their targets usually look like they were using a shotgun rather than a handgun. Like most young bucks, I started out with a semi-auto. I still have three: the Mak, a Glock 21 (.45) and a S&W 2206 (.22LR). The other 20 are all wheelguns of different sizes and calibers. Once you get to be an old fart you kinda like stuff that is simple, reliable, and fun. For me that spells "revolver."

Shoot a bunch of stuff before you buy. If you just gotta have a Mak, it will serve you well, but it's not exactly a fun gun to take to the range.

Have you thought about a .22? Great first gun. You can shoot all day for about $10 (500 round brick), and is great for learning shooting skills. You'll never out grow it. Even us old guys love getting the .22s out and killing a herd of cans, golf balls, turtles, clays, or even paper targets. I've taken more squirrels with my S&W 617 than any other firearm I own. I've got five .22s in all, and thinking about another one.

Sorry, I've rambled on for too long. Let us know what you get!

·
Registered
5 Posts
have one,like it performs and reliable do some research reg model age overall condition and price range prior to purchase,if possible you two should go out plinkin and just go off empty 2-4 mags in a row if it doesnt pipe on ya its probably a good starting point for your first pistol but thats just my opinion...dont blow your toes off...hehehehe be safe

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a .380 Russian Mak, and it is a fine shooter. It's not nearly as accurate as my P220 SAO, but hey, there's a big difference in the two weapons.

The Mak in .380 shoots well, has little muzzle flip, and a decent reset. I personally don't like the European mag release, but I can live with it.

The only rounds I've had issues with, were UMC ammo. That made the gun jam a couple times every magazine. Everything else from American Eagle, to Federal Hydroshocks, feeds reliable.

Like alot of semi's, it doesn't like to strip the first round if you "ride the slide down" versus releasing it firmly. Even my P220 has issues with that. As long as you let the spring do it's job, it will strip a round everytime.

HTH
Jason

G

·
I've had a Bulgy for several yrs. Its really a nice gun especially for the money. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar I don't think you can beat 'em. They are nice accurate reliable shooters no doubt. Plus, after market accessories are very plentiful.

I haven't bought much factory ammo for it as I cast my own so ammo is no issue here. I also have a 380 but have never fired it but I'm sure its a shooter too.

As for a first gun I would recommend it, it won't break the bank thats for sure. Although they are not too plentiful today they are a little more costly than when I picked mine up.

All-in-all they are great little pistolas (for little money).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I pretty much agree with the positive opinions of the Mak with one caveat: look for an East German manufactured gun. They can be identified by a circle-in-diamond stamp on the rear of the slide. The quality control of guns built in other countries is kinda spotty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had one for several years. They used to be quite common and inexpensive. I've never had a failure. These were the standard issue for the KGB. The 9x18 is slightly more powerful than a .380. I don't shoot it much these days as ammo is not always easy to find.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had one for several years. They used to be quite common and inexpensive. I've never had a failure. These were the standard issue for the KGB. The 9x18 is slightly more powerful than a .380. I don't shoot it much these days as ammo is not always easy to find.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 9x18 Makarov was the first handgun I ever shot. I now have two. I've never experienced a single hiccup from either of them. They're accurate, reliable, easy tear down and affordable. The Mak was my primary ccw for over a year. But since my workday is 10-14 hours on my feet, the Mak was a bit heavier than I cared for, for cc. I've since bought a Colt New Agent .45 acp as my ccw. I will always keep my Mak's. Look for the Bikol or Imez models and avoid the Polish and Czech.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts