Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I am very interested in this pistol and was wondering if anyone could offer any information (other than what S&W posts on their site) on this firearm. It is new so I may be disappointed by the lack of responses...

I understand it has a scandium frame - is this an issue if subjected to heavy use? Anything I should be aware of in terms of construction? I have read that some newer S&W revolvers have sleeved barrels that can be a pita. I have narrowed down my list of pistols for home defense and pleasure shooting to this gun and three others that are not really in the same price range:

XD 45 (haven't decided on 4" or tactical)
Sig P220 (used - German police issue, but in good condition)
Glock 23 (like the .45 but grip too large)

For about the same price I could actually have two of the other pistols, but I like the idea of revolver reliability and ease of maintenance, in addition to being able to put .38's through it to save some $$ on ammo. Also, the picatinny rail would allow compatibility with optics and light/laser that would be interchangeable with an AR platform.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I bought it. I pick it up tonight - this past Monday was the last day of the 7-day wait here, but alas, I was told that holidays don't count and that I would have to come back. That floored me, not a real day I suppose. MLK would be disappointed.

I wanted a gun that was utterly reliable, easy to maintain, rugged and simple to operate - basically what would I want if I could only have one weapon with me when things get REALLY bad like end-of-the-world type stuff. I think I made a decent choice.

Fit and finish appears top notch. No discernable play in anything (not that there should be) and the matte black finish on the frame is really appealing.

They gave me an hour of range time for free due to the inconvenience (I get another hour when I pick it up) and I put 50 rounds each of 158 gr. JSP .357 and .38 FMJ through it.

I kept the target at about 10 yds and have to say it is a fine shooter. It has a v-notch rear site that took a little bit of time to get used to, but I like the fact you can see the target thru the notch as it allows for slightly quicker sighting. .357 had quite a kick, but it wasn't ridiculous or unmanageable. The lighter frame hurts a little bit here as compared to say the 686. I have shot .357 and .44 before but not enough to become familiar with their characteristics, and this is my first revolver. I found that accuracy and speed suffered when I concentrated on managing the recoil (read "tensed up" - it actually wrenched my grip free at the web of my hand) than when I just let it kick with a looser grip - lesson learned. Still working on getting a good two-handed grip I am comfortable with as it is much different from the automatics I have been shooting of late. I let my friend put some .357 through it, and he was trying to use a grip similar to what he uses on his Glock 34. He had his thumb resting astride the cylinder release - bad idea - he feels lucky to still have his thumbnail.
It is more accurate than I can shoot it for sure. After the .357, .38's feel like .22's going thru it. I look forward to practicing with it and eventually getting a red-dot. My goal is to become proficient enough to confidently hit targets at 100-150 yards. Anyways, when I can get a hold of a decent camera I will try to put up some pics.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey, no fair starting out with such a fine revolver! :D

I think ya did just fine. The only problem is, how do you top that? Truly an terrific firearm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.