Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this 586-1 that I just bought in 357mag.Some questions,What does the 1 mean after the 586.In good shape I plan on using it for IDOA shoots.Can I switch the front blades from red to white without changing the whole front site.It's also 4in. barrel.Can somebody else tell me anything about this revolver.Oh forgot if I can just trade out the little blades where can I get one.Thanks guys,Hershey

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
The dash 1 means it was the first change to that model.

You could have the front ramp insert removed and a different color one put in, but it's not not a quick, interchangeable swap like you think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The dash number is an engineering change for that model. You can order different color inserts for the front sight at Brownell's or you can find a hunk of plastic and make your own.

To find info about your gun: If you have $40 bucks your not using, go to one of the big bookstores and pick up a copy of Jim Supica's "Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, Third eidition". That is the most valuable reference to all questions Smith related that I have ever seen.

The rear sight blade can be changed as well, taller etc. That requires a little more effort. Most times it's a matter of cranking the widage screw to the point it breaks. You then have to replace the screw/nut as well. (a gunsmith can do this in a matter of minutes.)

Brownell's is a good source of parts but there are many sources on the web.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts