Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wanted a S&W model 617 in the 6 inch barrel until i actually held one and its actually heavier than i expected it would be. In light of this, i am wondering if i should go with the 4 inch barrel 617 or the model 63 which is considerably lighter with the 5 inch barrel. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
149 Posts
i have the 617 in both flavors and have found that the 6" can get front heavy. My 6" has some gripper grips on it and it maybe better with some target style.

the 63 doesnt have the full under lug barrel so it should be lighter still.

i think either one will do.

btw, i would get one of the 63s, but im not a fan of the FO front sight. I have seen/hanlded the 63s w/o the FO FS and if i get one, it will be one of the older versions.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I got a 6" 617-1 and immediately put a scope on it. It has become my #1 squirrel gun. I have recently acquired a 6" 17, but haven't put many rounds through it yet. I think it's a fine platform and have really enjoyed the 617 over the years.

Sorry, I haven't any input on the 63. I haven't even seen one. I do like the 3" 317 Airweight, but the price tag keeps scaring me away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.