Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad just purchased a used Model 66 357 mag. He really wanted a 357 mag with a 4" barrel and the stainless finish. He was ready to buy a new GP100 Ruger but found the smith and went with that. I'm not that familiar with the model 66. Did he make a good choice. We have been told he did b/c smith is a better made gun. The gun is great shape and he purchased it for just over $400. (about $130 cheaper than the new one)

Thanks

·
Registered
606 Posts
If that 66 is old enough to have a pinned barrel and recessed cylinder, it's a very good deal.... especially if it has the target hammer, target trigger, and red insert front sight (only the 6" 19 & 66 offered the white outline rear sight)

The older S&W wheelguns had superb triggers right from the factory and generally excellent timing.... can't say the same for the more recent production.

In comparison to the Ruger GP, it's rather like comparing a Ferrari to a 3/4 ton pickup. A steady diet of full-house .357 loads will take its toll on the Smith, while the Ruger will happily gobble up loads that are considerably beyond SAAMI spec. The Ruger is much simpler to tear down than the Smith, but the trigger is nowhere as nice.

I have both.... the Smith goes to the range and the Ruger gets packed around in the woods.

G

·
IMO he made the right decision and the price is at current market value.

He will not loose any $$$ if and when he decides to sell, unless he trades at a gun store or w/dealer.

That said, it depends if he is happy with what he got. There is a thing called having the right tool for the right job. Whats his intentions we ask.... thats the question.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm sure my dad will be happy with the news. The model he got does have a pinned barrel and a recessed chamber. He wants to use it for shooting at the range with the rest of the group of us who just got our CCW's mostly 38's but wants to pack a bigger 357 mag load when in the woods in the U.P. of MI when fishing or as a back up for hunting.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Great choice. The Ruger is a tank but has a heavy trigger. The S&W is smoother, has a great trigger and very accurate. I have both, and I like my S&W revolvers the best. I put night sights on my 66. Sometimes out in the woods it can get pretty dark. You're dad might want to consider that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.