Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
have you handled any guns?

have you shot any guns?

i would find a gun rental range in your area and do some testing. spending some $$$ now could save you headaches later.

probably the best "beginners" gun is a revolver. its simple, not alot to jamb either. however, since you want an autoloader, i would suggest handling/shooting as many different types as possible.

also, chances are you want "cheap/inexpensive" eventho you dont say it. so if you have a $$$ limit say so since price will be THE deciding factor on what others will suggest.

Striker fired semis like Glocks, XDs, FNs are similar. SOme of the XDs have safetys now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've handled a few:

s&w m&p 9mm

sig sauer 9mm

glock 17 9mm.

i feel very comfortable with the weight and recoil of the above. I want to know what others i should try before making a purchase.

"cheap/inexpensive" would be nice but i don't want to come up short in the quality area. It would be nice to find a happy median. I don't want to spend over $700.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Re: re: my 1st

onelove2ree said:
I've handled a few:... I want to know what others i should try before making a purchase.

"cheap/inexpensive" would be nice but i don't want to come up short in the quality area. It would be nice to find a happy median. I don't want to spend over $700.

there are so many 9s out there but heres some i like.
from A to Z.

Armalite AR24
Beretta 92/Taurus92.
Beretta/Stoeger Cougar
Browning HP or mil copy/contract
CZ 75/85/P01/SP01.
CZ clones other then witness
DAEWOO DP51.
EAA Witness.
FN
Kahr
Ruger P85/95/SR9.
Sig P5.
SA XD

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ask your dealer about the Ruger SR9. Nice size, slim grip, 17 rounds, Ruger quality and service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a Ruger P95 about 2 months ago. I have put over 700 rds through it with no issues at all. I know several of the ranges around here (Austin, TX) have the P95 avail. for rental. Like everyone above says, it is a very good idea to shoot several and see what feels right in your hands.

Mykle

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are no good "beginner guns" Some just take more practice than others. But the practicing is the fun part so get what you like and can afford.
I recomend you get either a 22lr like a Browning Buck Mark or Ruger MK II or III to go with it or a get model that has a 22lr conversion you can get for it because there is no more cheap ammo except 22lr. A conversion is a slide, barrel spring and magazine that will fit on the frame of the pistol you buy. Usually around $300. Most of the common models have a 22 conversion that you can get for them and will pay for itself in the first thousand rounds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.